A DISABLED man was left “trapped’ in his hall for nine hours after Ikea delivery men blocked the doorway with his old sofa.

Chris Harwood, who has a potentially fatal lung condition, says he was unable to take any of his medication and suffered vomiting and “intense pain”.

Chris, 57, could not get into the rest of his flat past the furniture, which was left upright after a row with the two men, and had no key to get outside either.

And although he was able to reach his bathroom, he says the water in there is undrinkable.

Chris said the drama unfolded when the pair from logistics firm XPO — who were due to drop off his new sofa and take away his old one — scraped the furniture on his walls.

After an argument, the driver refused to carry on with the early morning delivery — leaving the old couch wedged in the hall.

Chris, who missed taking 17 tablets, suffers from emphysema bullae as well as crushed vertebrae.

The former IT consultant, of Guildford, Surrey, said: “I told the delivery driver before he left that he was leaving me trapped, but he didn’t care.

“I think disgusted is the right word. Everything about it was total incompetence.”

He went on: “I was feeling a mixture of panic, anxiety, depression, anger. I was in a lot of pain, I hadn’t had my medication.

“If I exert myself my lung could end up collapsing, which could be fatal, so I couldn’t move it myself or even climb over it.

"I had my phone on me but I don’t have any friends or family in the area.

“I was on the phone to Ikea and XPO all day but nobody came.”

The firm eventually returned at 6pm and took away the old sofa — but still failed to deliver the new one until the following day.

XPO said: “We’re looking into it now to determine what happened.”

Ikea said: “We have launched an investigation in co-operation with our delivery partner.”