A DEFIANT family carried a sofa out of a House Of Fraser store after the chain went bust and kept their cash.

Fiona Boston, 52, from Stockton-on-Tees, paid cash for the sofa in the Darlington store - but after House Of Fraser went into administration, the delivery date was pushed back.

After hearing that the delivery date was being pushed back again, she took matters into her own hands and took her family into the store to claim it.

With the help of a white van, she dismantled the sofa in store and walked out with it.

Fiona told the Teeside Evening Gazette has reported: “On July 26 I bought the sofa and chair.

"I’d had my eye on it for a couple of years. It was a perfect fit for my home. I paid in cash and three days later I went back to buy some extras on my debit card which cost £715.”

Fiona visited the store several times to find out when it would be delivered but kept being told that it was delayed.

She continued: “My husband Alan had an aneurysm last year and it’s taking him a while to get back to full health, but he’d been sitting on deck chairs at home as we were still waiting.

"He deserved to be comfortable.

“I kept asking the manager and staff but they were saying everything was out of their hands.”

When House Of Fraser went into administration, she lost her money and the sofa.

She explained: “They told me I would be put on a list of creditors and to wait to get my money back. I knew that the chances were I wouldn’t be getting it back.

“They even told me I could take finance out on the sofa - but I refused to pay for it twice.”

“I got some of my family together, some strong lads and a van, and decided to go to the store late in the afternoon when it was quite empty.

“We went up to the second floor, took the sofa apart and walked right out the front door. No one batted an eyelid.”

Staff at the Darlington store eventually called the police when Fiona tried to leave with the sofa.

But when cops pulled her over she explained the situation and produced her receipt.

She said: “He wasn’t happy but called his inspector who said it was a civil matter and to let us drive off.“So we did. It’s what you call British justice.”

Fiona is still owed £716 by the chain.

Many House Of Fraser customers have been left frustrated as the store has failed to pay out refunds and deliver goods.

It also had to take its website down after a dispute over pay.

But Sports Direct founder Mike Ashley, who bought House Of Fraser out of administration, said he plans to keep the Darlington store open.

The billionaire has vowed to save 80 per cent of House Of Fraser stores after purchasing the chain for £90million.