POLICE vowed to continue trying to bring Suzy Lamplugh’s killer to justice after a search found no trace of her.

A two-week dig at the home where prime suspect John Cannan’s mum formerly lived cost an estimated £100,000-plus.

Suzy’s brother Richard, 58, said: “I’m kind of numb.

"I suppose I had got my hopes up a little bit.”

Estate agent Suzy was abducted after meeting a client in Fulham, West London, in 1986.

Det Chief Supt Richard Wood said yesterday: “The case remains open, and the Met remains committed to bringing Suzy’s killer to justice.”

Cops were told Cannan buried her body in the garden of mum Sheila’s former home in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands.

But a search of the patio and a pit under an old garage drew a blank.

Homeowner Philip Carey, 52, admitted “relief” she was not found there but said it was a “shame” for Suzy’s family.

He added: “The police did everything they could.”

Officers are now leaving the site after heavily excavating the property - and even using a ground-penetrating radar in the search.

Ex cop Jim Dickie, who led a previous probe into Suzy’s death, said: “Until Cannan shows remorse and says where he put her I’m not sure there is anywhere left to go.

Former car salesman Cannan, now 64, had been given three life sentences with a recommendation he never be released for the murder of Shirley Banks in Bristol, in October 1987, the attempted kidnap of Julia Holman the previous night and the rape of a woman in Reading a year earlier.

The convicted killer reportedly complained about the "assassination" of his character after the latest search.

He denies any involvement in the Suzy's disappearance.

Miss Lamplugh went missing after leaving her west London offices to meet a mystery client known only as Mr Kipper.

Detective Chief Superintendent Richard Wood, who leads the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Suzy was a young woman when she was reported missing on 28 July 1986. She is presumed dead, and is believed to have been murdered.

"Her body has never been found, and no-one has ever been charged as part of the investigation.

“This has been a landmark case for the Met, both in terms of its scale and complexity, and because of the huge sense of tragedy of a young woman’s life being cut short and the uncertainty around what happened to Suzy.

“A total of 32 years have passed since Suzy’s disappearance; years that have undoubtedly been hugely painful for her family and loved ones, and our thoughts remain with them at this time.

"I would like to pay tribute to Suzy’s family for their support during the Met’s investigations into her disappearance, as well as for their courage and strength through decades of sorrow.

“This latest line of enquiry must have been traumatic for them, as well as bringing them some hope that they might find out more about what happened to Suzy, but they have always been supportive of our efforts to make progress in the investigation.

“The case remains open, and the Met remains committed to bringing Suzy’s killer to justice. We will continue to assess any new information that comes in.”

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust released a statement this morning, saying: "The search of a property in Sutton Coldfield has not recovered any evidence into Suzy’s whereabouts and is, once again, a poignant reminder of the mission of Suzy Lamplugh Trust to reduce the risk of violence and aggression through campaigning, education and support.

"Our thoughts remain with Suzy’s family today."

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is asked to call officers on 0207 230 4295 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.