FOUR Brits who tried to claim £45k compensation for food poisoning on a trip to Benidorm were exposed as fraudsters by their Facebook posts.

The Weir family all claimed to have suffered from nausea, stomach cramps and vomiting during the Jet2 package break.

But when investigators checked their social media accounts, they found a string of posts boasting about the "best holiday" and the "lovely food".

Jane Weir, Clair Weir, Janet Weir and Michael Jameson all appeared at Liverpool County Court where they pleaded guilty to contempt.

Justice Choudhury said the evidence against them was "little short of overwhelming".

The court heard they made a string of posts about how much they enjoyed the trip.

In one message, Janet, 63, wrote: "Well what can I say what a birthday present just got back from Benidorm had the best holiday ever lovely hotel , food and brilliant company didn't want to come home thank you once again to my lovely daughters and families for the best time ever love you all."

Despite her supposed illness, Janet's daughter Jane, 38, commented: "Glad u enjoyed yeself , loved every minute of it myself xx".

Janet's other daughter Claire, 35, commented: "Wish I was there now mum xx".

Other posts on social media revealed photos of Michael, 43, enjoying a day at the cricket club when, according to their medical reports, he was meant to be at home suffering from the debilitating symptoms of food poisoning.

The four-star safari themed hotel also presented records to prove the family had been ordering lager, vodka, gin and amaretto during the time they were supposed to be unwell.

All four defendants pleaded guilty to contemp.

They were each sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for two years and fined £750.

Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays said: "For some time we have warned that making false claims could lead to serious consequences and this ruling shows how serious they can be.

"It should leave anyone making a fake sickness claim in no doubt - we will robustly investigate and defend any claims that are dishonest or illegitimate – and the courts will not hesitate to punish anyone engaging in such fraud.”

David Scott, a fraud partner at Horwich Farrelly, the law firm that investigated the claims, added: “We are pleased that this family accepted that their claims were fraudulent.

"They saw this as a way of making some easy money at the expense of honest holiday makers and they will now pay the price for this stupidity.”