Gary Cahill is excited by the prospect of playing in his first major tournament for England and is happy with his understanding with defensive partner Phil Jagielka.

Chelsea defender Cahill missed Euro 2012 due to a double fracture of the jaw suffered in a pre-tournament friendly, but he is set to start for England at the World Cup in Brazil.

Cahill and Everton centre-half Jagielka have established themselves as Roy Hodgson's first-choice pairing and the former Bolton man is enjoying being an England regular.

"I feel a lot more experienced," said Cahill, who won his 23rd cap in Friday's 3-0 win over Peru. "I feel I know the role a lot better, I feel that I'm kind of accepted on this stage and I still want to keep learning and pushing forward.
"Since I've come to Chelsea I've enjoyed it, it's gone really well for me, and I can't get wait to get started in my first major competition with England, which will be very exciting."

Regarding his partnership with Jagielka, he added: "I think we've got a good understanding, which comes from playing a few games together now, as it always does. You don't all of sudden hit it off straight away.

"I feel we hit it off quite quickly and there is definitely an understanding in each other's game.

"There's another clean sheet against Peru so we're pleased with how it is going.
"We carry on and keep working - not just on the pairing of me and Jags but also the other defenders and getting a good reaction with them all."

There had been suggestions recently that John Terry should be coaxed out of international retirement to play alongside Chelsea team-mate Cahill, but the 28-year-old is just as happy to play alongside Jagielka.

"It is hard to compare," he said. "I've played many, many games with John, so we know each other's game inside out.

"Before the qualifying campaign it was relatively new with Jags, and since then we've got a good understanding, a good relationship.

"We've got clean sheets under our belt and at the minute it is going well.

"I think Jags is experienced as well. You look at his age, what he has done in his career, his caps for his country. He has been around a lot in the Premier League - he is an experienced player."