New Zealand have now finish runners-up in successive World Cups © Getty

Head coach Gary Stead

We were just one run short. It's a really hollow feeling that you play 100 overs and score the same amount of runs and then still lose the game. That's sports. I thought 240 was a competitive total. They've got a gun batting and we were in a good position after early wickets. Stokes and Buttler got them back in the game. Very proud of our guys. It's unfortunate it comes down to one ball at the end of it.

Would have been nice to get over the line. What we've done is to ensure that we fight the whole time. The last two games, in particular, showed our true character. I am sure when they were writing the rules they didn't expect the World Cup final to happen like that?

There are many ways. The hard thing I find is a 50-over tournament being decided on one over but I don't write the rules. I didn't know that [ambiguity on the runs awarded for the overthrows deflected off Stokes's bat]. At the end of the day, they [umpires] are there to rule. Sometimes errors are made and it's just the human aspect of the sport.

Everyone will react differently. I am sure everyone will shed a tear at some stage - whether it's in the shower or in front of others.

We can't change that [decision on awarding England six runs on the overthrow] now. It will go down in history as the one that got away from us. I suppose [umpiring] mistakes shouldn't have been made. Perhaps when you've played over seven weeks and you can't be separated on the final day then that is something that should be considered as well. But that's only one consideration over a whole lot of things that went on during the World Cup I guess. Everything will be reviewed and it's a good time to do it now. But probably after the dust settles in a while and the emotions aren't raw.

There was a lot of dejection. A lot of it was how did it happen and why did it happen? They shouldn't feel down. The exciting thing is now the Test Championship. Let's hope we are back in two years for the final. Some people go on holiday from here and it's a good thing.

Lockie Ferguson

It's a tough one to swallow, for sure. In terms of any game of cricket I have played, that was among the most incredible ones. but very proud of the Blackcaps and how we've played in this whole competition. We won a lot of tight games and showed that...although we always didn't win pretty, we scrapped right till the end and I think yesterday was a testament to that. Unfortunately didn't quite roll our way but very proud of how the boys performed. Yeah. The Blackcaps, we always pride ourselves on being a scrappy team. Not always the results go your way and naturally with the game of cricket, bit of bad luck happens. Some days you have good days and some days not so great. So, as I said, our team is playing a lot of scrappy cricket and we're enjoying those tough times. It's building a lot of character within the side and adds a lot of confidence. But yeah, unfortunately it wasn't to be yesterday, which is a bit of a shame.

It [containing Stokes and Buttler] is one of those tough things. We knew that there was going to be a partnership, it's cliched but there always is a partnership in cricket. We did very well to take early wickets and put them under a lot of pressure. But the way Jos and Stokesy played, they're pretty renowned to stand up at big times and they did have a great partnership there. We knew if we broke it then we'll be into probably not as well-recognised batters. Obviously, Woakesy, Plunkett and such can still hit the ball very well but we thought if we could break that partnership then we give ourselves a good opportunity and if we can defend sort of 10s (required rate), going into the last few overs then we're in with a chance for sure. That's our scrappy attitude. The whole time the chat we were having was: 'where's our next play, can we take a wicket and we're right into them'. But it wasn't to be unfortunately, but pretty proud.

It is probably a little bit of an understatement to say that it [the game] was emotional. Definitely for me it was sort of emotional night in terms of cricket and to come so close and not get across the line for whatever reason it wasn't meant to be. As I said, the lads are getting around each other, patting each other on the back for what was a great competition. Unfortunately, couldn't quite get over the last hurdle but at the same time we're very happy and hopefully we can inspire the next generation of Blackcaps to come though and win a World Cup in the future.

You're always prepared [to bowl in the Super Over] but Trent Boult is world class at the death. He's done it for us for a long time. We trust him in every way to bowl that over and that's why he bowled at the death for us and Boulty was feeling it at that time and the boys backed him a 100 percent. I thought he bowled an excellent over - both the last over of the game, but unfortunate, and then the Super Over he bowled an excellent over. He's a leader in our side and he loves taking on those challenges.

I think Kane leads us in the sense that 'let's not always focus on the outcome'. Although this outcome is particularly hurting I suppose. We do make sure that we...I guess congratulate each other on what we did well. In that sense we stay together, most of our team-mates are staying here for another night, so I'm sure we'll catch up for some lunch perhaps and talk about it a little bit. There's not much more to say, really

Tom Latham

It was a bizarre moment [the super over]. It was about trying to refocus around the job we needed to do. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be today.

It was a tricky surface to get yourself in on. Most games who came in soaked up a few dots and that was the beauty of putting runs on the board. Try and use that scoreboard pressure to build and we managed to get that run rate up. We know that if you get a couple of wickets and a couple of new batsmen, it certainly rises even quicker. We were reasonably happy with what we put on the board. We were so close.

[Stokes extra runs] There were so many moments throughout the game. I don't think you can just look at that one moment where it went for four. It was so close. It could have easily just missed and been one run. I guess that's just the game we play.

All we wanted to do was to play a brand of cricket that we do well and leave everything out there. I'm certainly proud of the whole group and the support staff in how we went about things today. Unfortunately, we didn't get across the line but we can certainly hold our heads up. It's been a great campaign. It just wasn't meant to be.

Henry Nicholls

It [the feeling] is obviously still pretty raw, it's a tough one, but when you look back on the day as a whole, and you know, what a final it has been. And obviously a lot of talk about the history of the game, and what sort of a game it was, but to be a part of something like this, it's pretty cool.

It (reaction to the result) was pretty surreal, you're not really sure how you process something like that. Just an amazing day really at the cricket. It ebbed and flowed. And it really was a tough one to take obviously, but I think you know looking back throughout the whole campaign, the way the guys - even at the end there - the way we held ourselves. It was the toughest circumstances we'll find ourselves in cricket, and really proud of the guys.

It was a funny wicket. Right throughout the day, it was doing quite a bit as we saw in the second innings. Kane and I felt we were building a nice little platform, but that was the nature of the wicket - always something for the bowlers as we showed in the second innings as well. So it is always nice to contribute to a little bit but if we could have... looking back, if we could've got a few more runs.

When you look at some of the guys, especially the bowlers - Lockie Ferguson and Matt Henry, to do what they've done at this stage in the World Cup. And the whole bowling attack has really led us all throughout. It's really pleasing for them guys to do that as a unit as well.

It's a funny World Cup, it's a long World Cup, we had three losses going into the semifinals, but the way we rallied back, beat India and to go so close yesterday, it is real credit to not just the players but also the support staff. We've been working for four years and I guess looking forward to that work starts again. For me, personally, I'll reflect on what a crazy, but ultimately, a field day to be part of.

I think the support we've had, not just in the semis, but right throughout... It's not a great timezone, with the time difference for the people back home but the amount of messages... you see who has been up throughout the pool games, is pretty humbling. To know that despite not getting over the line, they still appreciate the work we put in. It's pretty humbling.

Batting coach Craig McMillan

It's very hard to put in words. Just feel a sense of pride with the guys' performance on the field. The way they keep fighting, the way they keep coming back and find a way to win. There are overriding emotions along with a huge sense of disappointment that we couldn't do what we wanted to do.

The [Super Over] plan was to get 16 runs. We thought we needed two boundaries to get that 16. Obviously, Guptill and Neesham are two power-hitters. We had two batsmen with pads on depending on how the over was going to pan out. 16 is never easy off one over. The guys were fantastic. There was an even flow of emotion not only in the 50-over match but also in the Super Over. Just one of those things, close but not close enough.

We wanted power. If we wanted to get more than 10 an over, we needed a couple of boundaries. Archer had done a good job bowling in the death. Their ability is such that, if you miss, those guys can hit you over the ropes. Those two guys are at the top. Neesh [James Neesham] hit one to the crowd. Archer's execution under pressure was good and our guys were exceptional in running the twos. It was such a fine margin. There was reflection. We lost a lot of sleep last night, we needed one run. It's going to be the nature of it for some time now.

That [rules] is for someone else to discuss and decide. That's not going to change yesterday's result. But what is fair to say that, at the end of such a big tournament, if two teams can't be separated at the end of 50 overs and then a Super Over, neither team deserves to lose. And neither side actually lose. Maybe sharing the trophy would have been the right thing to do but it was not to be yesterday. And I'm disappointed but there were the rules and you can't do anything about it.

Small margins [regarding runs given for overthrow deflection]. I don't know the rules to be perfectly honest. Played a lot of games, watched a lot of cricket, overthrows have always been just runs. It's something that will be debated and discussed but that doesn't change anything.

I have seen these guys develop for a number of years now, into world class players at the international platform. I'm very proud of what guys have been able to achieve through their time. We have got a solid core and they will do well for New Zealand over a period of time. In the last five years, the way New Zealand cricket is viewed, not only by the New Zealand public but by the world, is something that as coaches and support staff look at with great pride.

Greatest match? I'm lost for words. I don't think I've ever been as gutted and as proud at the end of a game. Truly felt that we deserved to win. The way they keep coming back when challenges are thrown at them, the way they keep fighting, it was a day of mixed emotion. There will still be a lot of raw emotion that is going to be there. Five or six hours of sleep isn't going to change that. We will get over that and in time, look back at the game very fondly because there have been some incredible performances yesterday.

NZC CEO David White

First and foremost, congratulations to England on an outstanding World Cup, and what an amazing event! Congratulations to them for running a brilliant event and winning it. It has been an emotional roller-coaster. I'm obviously disappointed for the team. They were amazing. Throughout the tournament, they fought and fought and fought. In the last game, we are just proud of how they played. We tried, twice.

We knew the rules before going there, so you cannot complain about that. But there will be opportunities like that to review the rules, and that'll be done. But we have got no complaints about that. We knew the rules, we were just very, very unlucky to tie the game twice and not win it. The rules determined by the ICC, I'm not aware of when was that finally decided. The important point is we knew what the rules were.

I felt really good about this team going into the tournament. Their conditions are very familiar to us. Having made the last final, in hindsight, we were happy to be in the final in 2015. Felt in the last few days there was some unfinished business. I was optimistic, quietly confident that we will be very competitive in the final because the conditions are so familiar to us. Because it was a low-scoring competition and we had fought all the way, we felt we had a real chance

Gary Stead has been amazing. To come into a setup 12 months out is very challenging. It's a very close-knit team. He didn't try to change everything, which is very easy for the coach. He sat back with Kane and the management and senior players. He is a very unique individual. He had his touch to it. He has no ego, he is team first. The great thing about Gary is that he is trained for this, very experienced and very calm. He has gone to two World Cup finals with the White Ferns. We couldn't have been more delighted about his performance.

Our strategic direction is that it's a game for all New Zealanders. They captured the hearts of all New Zealanders yesterday. It was on free-to-air TV, which was brilliant. Hope many young kids, girls and boys are inspired by that and want to pick up a cricket bat and bowl a ball next summer. It's up to us now as administrators to take this up. There was a big spike in interest during the 2015 world cup. We'll have to come up with strategies to take this ahead. We have a very exciting summer coming up. All four semifinalists in the world cup will be touring New Zealand next year. We start off with England, followed by India and then Australia. It's a great opportunity for all the fans to get behind the team.

I was sitting square on. We needed two. It was not to be. He bowled a full toss on the leg stump. He hit it too well, I think. We had a chance. I skipped many heartbeats throughout the whole day. One thing you know about this team is that it is very close. In fact, the whole New Zealand family is very tight. And we're all together and we will be together carrying on. It's a great achievement. It's a massive disappointment but the future's bright.