KIERAN Foran’s season has once again been cut short by injury, but Newcastle legend Matty Johns because the Knights could do worse than give Canterbury a phone call about the playmaker’s contract.

On Monday, the Bulldogs revealed the former New Zealand international would be sidelined for the remainder of 2018 due to a toe injury which he needed surgery for.

It’s been well documented the club’s salary cap is a mess due to the decisions of previous management and they’ve been trying to free up space by offloading Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill has also publicly shutdown rumours the club are looking to medically retire Foran who is on a reported $1.1 million per season.

But despite his hefty pay packet, Johns reckons it’s still worth the Knights asking the question.

“If I was the Newcastle Knights, I’d be making subtle inquiries to the Bulldogs,” Johns told The Late Show with Matty Johns.

“At the right price, I’d team him up with Mitchell Pearce — they’re best mates.

“It’d be a fair spine if he gets back to toward best: Foran, Pearce and Kalyn Ponga.

“What’s the right price … it depends how much trouble the Bulldogs are in (salary cap wise).

“If you’re the Knights, for $500,000 would you take a punt and have a subtle inquiry?

“It’s high risk, but if it pays off, big dividends.”