West Indies were shot out for just 155 in the second ODI. © AFP
As the pitch in Mutan got slower in the second one-day international, the ailings of the West Indian batting came to the fore. It is unlikely to get any easier when they take on Pakistan on Sunday, with a slower surface expected.

For as much as Akeal Hosein, one of the rare impressive performers for West Indies in their 120-run loss on Friday, would relish the challenges the surface offers to the batters, it is unlikely many of his teammates would be delighted with what stands on their way in order to avoid a whitewash.

Pakistan have stuck to a more predictable script, especially the manner in which Imam-ul-Haq and Babar Azam have adjusted to the familiar conditions and laid strong foundations in both the encounters so far. Much like Pakistan, West Indies too have found steady foundation from their No 2 and 3, Kyle Mayers and Shamarh Brooks stitching handy partnerships. However, the rest of the batting has not been able to capitalise on that, relying too heavily on the big hits rather than the touch of working around the gaps.

For as well as the Pakistani batters have capitalised on their opportunities, their bowlers have also taken little time to get accustomed to the conditions - Mohammad Nawaz especially, who returned figures of 4 for 19.

With only one match remaining before West Indies leave the shores of Pakistan, and the series lost, spirits are unlikely to be high, even though they would want to salvage some pride. The hot climes of Multan though, are unlikely to make the stay anymore pleasant for the them.

When: Sunday, June 12, 2022, 4:00 PM local time

Where: Pakistan vs West Indies, Multan Cricket Stadium, Multan

What to expect: The temperatures are likely to touch almost low-40s during the first innings. There was ample spin available to trouble the batters, but the pitch was also on the slower side.

Team News:

Pakistan: With the series won, there could be scope for some experiments for Pakistan. Maybe an opportunity for the promising Shahnawaz Dhani or Iftikhar Ahmed?

Probable XI: Fakhar Zaman, Imam ul Haq, Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Haris, Khushdil Shah, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf

West Indies: With hot and tiring conditions to play in, and the series lost, there could be scope for making a few changes.

Probable XI: Shai Hope, Kyle Mayers, Shamarh Brooks, Nicholas Pooran, Brandon King, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd, Keemo Paul, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Hayden Walsh

What they said:

"I wanted to bowl in the right areas. It spun a lot. I knew if I bowled in the right areas, the pitch would help me. Shadab didn't get the ball to spin much in the first two overs, but then even he got it to spin. Finger spinners got more spin" - Mohammad Nawaz after his match-winning performance in the second ODI

"We need to review it (death bowling) and keep working. It's a new team as well, we are in rebuilding stage, we can't get everything right. We learn from his experience" - Nicholas Pooran