The former AC Milan star feels the 22-year-old midfielder is ready for a starring role in the Italy team and believes he should be given a chance to shine

Alessandro Costacurta believes Marco Verratti is ready to take Andrea Pirlo's place in the Italy national team.

The Paris Saint-Germain midfielder has been in fine form at club level but has featured in only one of the Azzurri's European Championship qualifiers.

Costacurta, though, believes Antonio Conte should give the 22-year-old more team in the first-team, especially in Saturday's clash with Bulgaria because of Pirlo's absence.

"Verratti is a player I like a lot. He has grown recently," Costacurta told Sky Sport. "I think he can take up the legacy of a superstar like Pirlo.

"His last performances, even against Chelsea in the Champions League, have been of exceptional intensity and quality.

"Now he has to play in the national team, as well as in the future.

"Andrea could almost say: 'When I miss a game Verratti should play.'"

Costacurta, a centre-back during his playing days, featured over 50 times for Italy and was a member of the squad that finished runners-up to Brazil at World Cup 1994.