Head was originally slated to turn out for Sussex in the 2019 season but missed out after Ashes call-up. Getty

Australia batsman Travis Head has signed with Sussex for the 2020 season and will be available to play all three formats, the county confirmed on Wednesday (September 25). The 25-year-old batsman was originally slated to turn out for Sussex in the 2019 season but missed out after a call-up to the Australian Ashes squad with Sussex pulled out on the deal and instead recruited Alex Carey.

Head comes on the high recommendation of former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie, who also coaches at Head's BBL franchise - Adelaide Strikers. "I've known Trav for a number of years. We have a really good relationship and after we decided here at Sussex that an overseas batsman would complement our squad next year I just knew that Travis would be ideal," Gillespie said.

"We wanted a top four batsman to improve our team and Travis will do that," head coach Jason Gillespie said. He's shown his class in his international career so far, he brings some useful off-spin and he will offer good leadership support to our captains from his time leading South Australia and the Strikers."

Head captained South Australia to the Sheffield Shield final in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons. He led the Strikers to their maiden BBL title in 2017-18. He established himself in the Test squad last home summer and played the first four Ashes Tests in England this year, aggregating 191 runs before being left out for The Oval Test.

"I was disappointed not to have been able to take up my contract this summer so was thrilled that Jason [Gillespie] and Keith [Greenfield, Sussex Cricket's director of cricket] were keen to lock me away for the 2020 season. I can't wait," Head said. "With such a proud history, success is expected, and I want to play my part in achieving that."