Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says that his side have not been distracted by anything in their bid to challenge for the Premier League title, after a 5-0 hammering of Bournemouth that moved them up to second place.

Pochettino's side have scored 11 goals in two games and are now just six points off Liverpool in top spot, and one ahead of Man City in third. Christian Eriksen, Son-Heung Min (two), Lucas Moura and Harry Kane found the net at Wembley on Boxing Day and the manager believes the hard work is starting to pay off.

"In six months we never complain about anything. We no complain about no signings, we no complain about the stadium, we no complain about the fixtures, we no complain about come to play at Wembley when the plan was to play in the new stadium and the pitch because Wembley was booked for the season -- many, many things.

"But one thing we have kept is the belief and been positive, we created a bubble and now that is paying [off] and we are I think in that position because we work a lot.

"Still we are halfway of the season, but to break records like the best first half in the Premier League and many things that can make us very proud."

Pochettino also warned his Tottenham players that they have made themselves a target for the rest of the Premier League after climbing into second place.

"We have faith, clear ideas and now the challenge is to keep that level and try to increase it," he said. "When you're there you start to show your face. Everyone wants to kill you and of course it's tougher when you're higher. But we need to keep in the same way: humble, working hard and knowing that each game is going to be tougher than the one before.

"If we're capable at the end to keep our level, maybe we can talk at the end of the season that we are real challengers, but today is so early to talk about if we are or not real contenders for the title.

"We're so happy but [it has] not surprised me because always we're focused on us, never the opponent. We're happy because we're in a good position, but to be honest it doesn't mean too much to us to be second or third, or first. The most important thing is where you finish in May."

Pochettino handed Kyle Walker-Peters his first Premier League start of the campaign against Bournemouth, 15 days after the youngster's error allowed Barcelona to score the opening goal in the 1-1 draw at Camp nou, and the 21-year-old right-back seized the opportunity, setting up all three of Spurs' first-half goals against Eddie Howe's side.

"It's no surprise to me," said Pochettino. "I told you after the match in Barcelona that we really believe in him and he has amazing quality and only needs time to mature and show his quality.

"Did I speak to him after the Barcelona game? Not really, because this type of thing happens in football. The first person who knows that very well is the players. To come in after and try to make sure that that situation meant a lot to you? There's no point.

"I think the most important thing is not to talk too much about this type of situation afterwards -- not only for a young player but a senior player too.

"When a player makes a mistake it's not important for us. What's important is that you try afterwards. The problem is when you make a mistake and you are thinking about that mistake and you don't play the football in the game."