Not even a broken thumb will halt Marcus Stoinis' charge towards a World Cup berth.

Stoinis suffered a fracture on his right thumb during Australia's recent one-day tour in India, but missed only the one game and hasn't been forced to spend any more time on the sidelines against Pakistan.

The allrounder has to be mindful of the digit while fielding, but has pushed through with little fuss in carrying out both batting and bowling duties.

"I'm pretty happy it didn't keep me out for too long," Stoinis said ahead of the third ODI in Abu Dhabi.

"It was uncomfortable for a good couple of days, it's just something I'm going to keep covered up while fielding and all that sort of stuff. But it's pulled up pretty well. After each game it's been OK.

"I think I'll be over it by (the World Cup). I think it should be completely healed within four weeks."

International cricketers are used to living out of hotel rooms for months on end, but few have experienced the kind of extended stint away from home than what Stoinis is potentially in the middle of.

The Perth local spent most of the summer either with Australia's limited-overs teams or the Melbourne Stars during their KFC Big Bash season.

The day after the Stars lost the BBL final, Stoinis flew to India for the five-match ODI campaign before heading to the UAE. After that series ends Sunday, he'll link up with his new Indian Premier League club Royal Challengers Bangalore, before (assuming he's selected) joining Australia's World Cup squad for a camp in Brisbane and then heading on to the UK.

If he then also makes the Ashes, Stoinis may not spend a night in his own bed until September.

"It has been a long time," the 29-year-old said of his time on the road. "Fortunately it's always easier when you’re winning and we're just making sure on my off days you're chilling out.

"I’m doing the basics with my cricket, getting ready for each game. I'll have my family come over to meet me in India and then again I’ll probably meet them in Brisbane in the World Cup prep. I might bring a couple of mates over for the World Cup – if I’m there, pending selection.

"For me it's about having people around, making sure I’m staying in contact with home.

"But it is a long stint."

Stoinis hasn't been required with the bat in the opening two one-dayers against Pakistan but a lengthy tune-up on the eve of the second ODI was further proof his thumb is having little impact on him.

In a centre-wicket hit-out, where sixes were the only item on the menu, the powerfully-built right-hander had ground staff busily preparing for Wednesday's match ducking for cover with an astonishing series of enormous straight sixes.

It was a eye-popping display that bodes well for the visitors should he finally be required with the stick as the Aussies eye an unassailable 3-0 series lead.

"The group is coming together well leading up to the World Cup," he said.

"We've had a lot of reflection to do over the last 12 months - on how we've been playing, playing efferent conditions and people gaining experience.

"It's good to get a bit of reward for hard work."