The last time Nathan Vardy was involved in a grand final it was 2011 and he and Daniel Menzel were on crutches after surgery, watching Geelong beat Collingwood in a classic decider.

Seven years and 13 operations on hips and knees later, Vardy is a premiership player.

And not just any player. He and Scott Lycett were pivotal to the Eagles snaring the flag, taking down Brodie Grundy after blanketing fellow All-Australian Max Gawn in a preliminary final a week earlier.

“It is unbelievable,” Vardy said. “Even halfway through the last quarter I didn’t think it was going to happen and we somehow found a way. It is pretty special.”

The ruckman-forward had 14 disposals, four marks and kicked a priceless goal in the last term.

Grundy dominated ruck duels but could not wield his usual influence around the ground and finished with just 10 touches.

When you factored in Lycett’s nine disposals, the ruck was a potential Collingwood strength that West Coast cancelled out.

“The aim was just to not let him be unopposed really. Every time the ball hit the ground or spat away from our general area to have a look around and see where he was and get to him,” Vardy said.

“Some people would call it tagging but it wasn’t that tight.

“It was also about nullifying his hit-outs and not letting them get out to their advantage.

“For the most part I think we went all right.”

At 27, Vardy has now played 57 games over seven seasons.

He managed just 25 in five years at Geelong, even though the Cats rated him highly.

There were just too many injuries. Now, he says, every operation was worth it.

“They are all worth it now, aren’t they? It doesn’t matter. Does not matter. They can’t take this off me now,” Vardy said.

“I didn’t think I would get here but I am here now.”

Vardy has played 32 matches in two seasons with the Eagles.

Injuries to Nic Naitanui and Lycett last year and Naitanui again this year opened the door to premiership glory.

“Because Scott and Nic were injured I knew there was going to be opportunity,” he said.