Thitipong Warokorn all-set for first races at new Chang International Circuit.

Round 2 of the 2015 WorldSBK season will take the paddock to the all-new surroundings of the Chang International Circuit as the championship races in Thailand for the first time. On the World Supersport grid as a wildcard that weekend will be home rider Thitipong Warokorn, fresh from a full season in Moto2 last year.

WorldSBK.com caught up with A.P. Honda rider Warokorn ahead of the Thai Round in mid-March.

“This WorldSBK round will mark the first time in history that any international motorsport event has been staged in Thailand,” Warokorn explains. “Of course, I wanted to be part of this huge event and to help establish it in the country. Motorsport is not very well known to the media, sponsors or audience in Thailand, so up until now there had never been a circuit or any events staged. I really do believe that people will pay lots of attention and really look forward to the Thai WorldSBK round.”

The Chang International Circuit, situated close to the town of Buriram and around 400 kilometres north-east of capital city Bangkok, is a completely new layout of 4.554km (2.829mi), with 12 corners in total.

“The circuit is fantastic,” Warokorn continues. “I have always hoped Thailand would be able to have a circuit up to international standards in order to host global events. Now the time has come. I must say special thanks to Mr. Newin Chidchob (Thai politician and Chairman of Buriram United football club) for allowing the dream to come true for so many fans and riders. We have a lot to look forward to!”