Nico Terol all-set for first Althea Racing WorldSBK appearance.

Former World Champion Nico Terol will line-up on the WorldSBK grid for the first time next weekend, alongside Matteo Baiocco at Althea Racing. Beforehand, the 125cc World Champion of 2011 will conduct the two-day Phillip Island test session which is to be staged across Monday and Tuesday of this week.

“I’m very pleased and confident and cannot wait to start this championship,” the Spaniard says. “We’ll have two test days and this is very important for us. We’ll make the most of this time to make further modifications and improvements, in order to be ready to fight for the positions that count. Phillip Island is a fast and exciting track that I think can suit our Ducati, as well as being a track that I really love.”

While Terol looks for more Phillip Island positivity, such as when he finished on the podium in the 125cc race in 2010, new team-mate Baiocco is just as keen to race.

“Phillip Island is a fantastic track,” declares the Italian, from Osimo on the Adriatic coast. “It’s been a few years since I last raced there but this year I head there with the right physical and technical preparation, so I’ll be doing all I can to make the most of this. Our bike seems suited to the track and my aim will be to confirm all of the good work we’ve completed during the winter tests, improving session after session.”

With changes to the technical regulations for 2015, Althea Racing team owner Genesio Bevilacqua is confident that his squad can enjoy a strong start.

“We’re at the start of a championship in which we have a real Superbike after a difficult, uncertain year that left us with doubts as to our participation this season,” Bevilacqua begins. “Finally, with the new regulations, which are clearer and bring private and factory teams almost into line, we can fight for the kind of results that have always characterised Team Althea Racing.

“In fact, over three years, we have collected four victories with the Ducati: one in 2010, one in 2011 and two in 2012. I am sure that Nico Terol and Matteo Baiocco, the two riders in whom we trust, can achieve important results for our team.”

Althea Racing’s programme continues on Monday, with the first World Superbike track action set to commence from 11:10am local time (GMT +11).