IT'LL TAKE a team effort to stop Jordan De Goey on Friday night with reliable Richmond defender Dylan Grimes unsure of exactly who will get first crack at the dangerous Magpie.

De Goey brought impressive form to the Pies' second final and, while he'll spend this week frantically rehabbing a rolled ankle, looms as one of their most important game breakers.

Grimes, who usually gets the second or third tall forward, said on Monday the Tigers were yet to fully analyse the preliminary final match-ups.

But he predicted it would take more than one person to stop the powerful Pie, who booted three goals against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday night.

"I don't know if I will be lining up on him to be honest. I noticed yesterday he was playing deep a lot and normally we like to maintain our back six and have 'Rancey' [Alex Rance] in those deepest three," Grimes said on Monday.

"It's certainly a good opportunity for a defensive unit really, as a whole, to test themselves against the best opposition.

"You definitely learn the most from those games, where you're really being tried and tested from different angles and Collingwood do that so well.

"They've got players who compete in the air and players like De Goey who's good in the air and on the ground.

"We're not 100 per cent sure what it's going to look like yet but he's been in great form, so have [Jaidyn] Stephenson and [Mason] Cox, and I think those guys have had terrific years this year so it's going to be a big challenge, no matter who I'm playing on."

Grimes predicted an "arm wrestle" of a final between two side with contrasting styles.

But, the lead-up for both clubs couldn't be more different with the Pies coming off a six-day break while the Tigers have enjoyed a 15-day hiatus since their winning qualifying final over Hawthorn.

So, which team will be better prepared?

"There's a train of thought for both sides," Grimes said.

"You could argue that Collingwood are maintaining momentum, they're full of confidence and the short break is going to suit that side of the game.

"Or, we'll be well rested and ready for them on Friday night.

"We'll feel like we're going to be fresh going into the game and well rested, we've had a couple of byes recently so it's not like it's something we haven't done before or prepared for.

"We're confident in our preparation and really looking forward to the challenge."

The Tigers had a similar break between their 2017 qualifying final win over Geelong on September 8 and their preliminary final against the Giants on September 23.

He said the most important thing for the Tigers was to keep their lead up as "normal" as possible and "not to overthink it".

"We just have to take the week as it comes and enjoy it," he said.

"The sun's out, we're a group of 45 guys enjoying training together and enjoying playing finals footy and watching finals footy as well.

"It's been a great few weeks to see and watch it unfold but at the same time you want to keep excited and keep the body as fresh as you can.

"I think everyone is relishing the break a little bit as well. At this time of year, there's a lot of sore bodies around on both sides of the fence and it's been a good opportunity to freshen up."