Petra Kvitova warmed up for the Australian Open with a closely contested win over Karolina Pliskova in the Sydney International final.

The reigning Wimbledon champion will head to Melbourne with plenty of confidence after edging out her fellow Czech opponent in a 7-6 7-6 win.

Kvitova surrendered her serve in the second game, but broke back with a fierce backhand pass as Pliskova tried to serve out the opening set at 5-4.

Having forced a tie-break, the second seed snatched the set and looked to be heading for a comfortable win when she broke Pliskova again.

But the former Australian Open junior champion refused to be brushed aside, drawing level in the sixth game to set up another tie-break.

Her efforts were in vain as Kvitova claimed her 15th career title. She revealed afterwards that she is pleased with her form ahead of the opening grand slam of 2015.

"It's always tough to play a final," she said. "I'm glad I stand here as the winner of this tournament. It's always going to stay as a great memory in my mind."