MELBOURNE recruit Steven May’s AFL future will be in front of goals, the only question is the direction he will be kicking the football.

The majority of the 26-year-old’s 123 games at the Gold Coast were in defence, meaning he was directing the football away from the goals.

But early discussions with Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin point to May doing 180 degree turns and kicking, rather than saving goals, something he only did 21 times in a Suns jumper.

“I’m known as a backman and I’ve played a lot of my footy down there,’’ May said.

“But I’ve spoken with Goody and he plans to use me in the forward line at some stage after I signed a five-year deal with the club.

“I’m good with that after playing up forward a lot when I was a kid in Darwin.

“You never know, I could be thrown forward in the Darwin game, I reckon that would create a few cheers..’’

But while kicking goals is an early passion he wants to see realised in a Melbourne jumper, playing finals football rates even higher.

“That’s one of the main reasons I chose Melbourne as a future club,’’ May said.

“They’ve not only got a good list, it’s a young list as well and one that is capable of playing finals footy for multiple years and the opportunity to join them and potentially be a part of that was too great to turn down.

“You saw them play in the prelim this year, their rise has been pretty rapid and they don’t look like slowing down at all in the near future.’’

“I’ve never played in a final and while I know it’s not guaranteed that will happen at Melbourne next year, the important thing is I believe I’ve selected a club that is the very best fit for me.’’

Never backwards at coming forward, May has already caused ripples in Melbourne by jokingly telling former Gold Coast teammate and Richmond recruit Tom Lynch he is the club’s second best forward.

Melbourne and Richmond tradionally play the Anzac eve match at the MCG, prompting May to tell his good mate he would be taking Richmond’s best forward Jack Riewoldt.

Playing in front of his “home’’ crowd in Darwin and Friday night football are other firsts May is gearing up for.

“The Gold Coast did play the Western Bulldogs up there a few years back but I was injured and didn’t play,’’ he said.

“I played against Melbourne in Alice Springs two years ago, but I’m a Darwin boy, so playing up there for the first time is something I’m really looking forward to.’’

May can see some bright spots for his old side the Suns, despite the big loss of experience with himself, Lynch, Josh Caddy and Gary Ablett leaving in recent years.

“They’re starting again with young people they’ve signed , a new coach and older guys who will help the club culture, it’s a long term build,’’ he said.