AUSSIE sporting greats have pleaded for hometown hero Sally Pearson to be handed the honour of carrying the nation’s flag into Wednesday’s opening ceremony.

The distinguished role will be announced tonight and Australia’s team chef de mission Steve Moneghetti confirmed the Gold Coast hurdles great was a frontline contender.

“You don’t have to be Einstein to think Sally would be a person who exhibited a lot of the characteristics we’d want,’’ Moneghetti said.

“You have to remember the flag-bearer is the unofficial captain of the team. The position requires qualities far further than carrying a flag onto an arena – it is about leadership, integrity and their support for Commonwealth Games.”

Swimming legend Kieren Perkins, who was Australia’s flag bearer during the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games’, led a host of stars to call for Pearson, in her fourth Games, to lead our team into the stadium.

“She’s been one of our most successful athletes over such a long period. I’m always someone who likes to support those that have had that longevity and consistency and Sally’s absolutely done that. She’s a Gold Coast girl too, so I figure she’s in for a good shot.”

Three-time Olympic champion runner and former teammate of Pearson, Tamsyn Lewis-Manou, said it was a “no-brainer” for her to receive the honour.

“She encapsulates what Australians love about their sport stars,” three-time Olympic runner Tamsyn Lewis-Manou said.

“I think what she’s done on the track is inspiring and that’s what you really want from a flag bearer.

“She’s worked hard to come back from adversity and she’s a Gold Coast girl, it’s just a no-brainer.”

Other champions such as Giaan Rooney, Tatiana Grigorieva and Hayley Lewis also threw their support behind the hurdler.

“I would love for Sally to be our flag bearer,” Rooney said.

“I support anything that Sally is involved in and she’s such an incredible Australian. I would love to see her. I think that’s an amazing idea,” Grigorieva said.

Significant athlete roles in the ceremony include carrying the flag, running the Queen’s baton inside the stadium and reading the oath of athletes.

Pearson, who is going to her fourth Commonwealth Games, has confirmed she has agreed to run a leg of the Queen’s Baton in Southport on the morning of the opening ceremony, so it would be unusual for her to also run with baton inside the stadium on the same day.

The last person to run the Queen’s Baton relay into Carrara Stadium is chosen by the Commonwealth Games Federation in consultation with the Gold Coast Organising Committee and CGA.