Virgil Van Dijk may have scored the goal that sealed Holland’s place in the Nations League semi-finals, but all credit should go to boss Ronald Koeman for masterminding his team’s incredible comeback against Germany.

The Dutch were 2-0 down with five minutes to go away from home when Quincy Promes fired in a lovely goal.

Holland then went on the front foot and managed to score an incredible equaliser through Van Dijk, his volley confirming top spot ahead of France in the group.

However, the Liverpool man wouldn’t have been anywhere near the opposition box had it not been for a tactical masterstroke from Koeman.

An incredible photo shows the former Everton man’s tactics discarded on the ground, and it gives away one key secret.

Holland had struggled to make an impact in the German box all game long.

But Koeman decided to try something different by plonking centre-back Van Dijk at the heart of his attack.

The paper note shows the defender leading the line while supported by a number of top attackers, including Memphis Depay.

And it certainly paid off when Van Dijk broke German hearts with his late equaliser, prompting Dutch fans to start booking their flights to Portugal next summer.

Referring to the change, Koeman said: “I got that note from Dwight Lodeweges and Kees van Wonderen. When we were 2-0 down they asked me if we should change things around and I said yes.

“Next thing I knew I had the note. So I gave it to Kenny. And in the end it’s fantastic that the equaliser came from the guy who was told on the note to push upfront.”

Dutch hero Van Dijk added: “It’s is a fantastic feeling. We should all be proud of ourselves. I know I am. It’s just a great feeling for all of us. The team showed character. We kept going.

“Let’s not forget, this Germany is an excellent team, maybe even better than France.”