Graeme Murty says he will leave with a "sense of pride" when his spell as Rangers caretaker manager ends.

Sunday's 2-1 victory at Pittodrie means Rangers have beaten Aberdeen twice in a week to climb above them into second place in the Premiership table.

Dons manager Derek McInnes is thought to be the Glasgow club's preferred candidate to succeed Pedro Caixinha.

"I'll take lots of stuff away with me, but where I leave the team is for other people to judge, said Murty.

The 43-year-old has never ruled himself out of the running to be permanent manager but, with Rangers thought to be ready to make an appointment this week, is expected to return to his duties as under-20s coach.

Rangers had slumped to defeats by Hamilton Academical and Dundee but have their back-to-back wins over Aberdeen took them ahead of McInnes' side on goal difference.

After Danny Wilson's first-half opener, Josh Windass gave Rangers a 2-0 lead despite former Aberdeen midfielder Ryan Jack being sent off for a foul on Stevie May.

Teenage Aberdeen substitute Frank Ross curled in a a fine free-kick, but Rangers held on for the win.

"If I walk away, what I'm leaving with is a sense of pride," Murty told Rangers' website.

"And with some players who have come together in some tough circumstances.

"But, more than anything, I am thankful to them for the belief they have shown in me and the belief they have shown in one another to go and get two fantastic results when they've been questioned deeply."

Murty played down his impact on a fourth win in six games in his second spell as Rangers caretaker, after a 50% win record in his first last season.

"When you go down to 10 men and then go straight up the other end and score, that's nothing to do with me - that's what the fellas have got inside them," he said.

"And, no matter what was thrown at them today, through decisions or luck or anything like that, we stood up to it all the way through the team.

"I'm proud of the players. We stood up. Two very different games, two very different challenges.

"But you saw different aspects of a team that are back in second place and showed not a little bit of quality alongside that character."

Murty was "disappointed" for Jack, who he felt had been harshly sent off.

But he added: "I don't want to talk about that because it will take the focus away from a sterling performance from guys who have been questioned over the last few months.

"Let's not look back and pillory them for what they may or may not have had.

"What they have got is a degree of belief and a degree of grit that I can't give them, that no coach can give them, but it has to come from the group and I thought the group today was strong."