Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has admitted that Sunday’s Premier League clash with title rivals Chelsea is a ‘must-win’ match.

The reigning champions have played only four games this season, but already trail leaders Chelsea by five points as they prepare for the Etihad encounter, live on Sky Sports.

City have failed to pick up a win in their last two league games and Pellegrini is determined not to lose further ground in the title race.

"I always try to think of positives, so I hope we are not going to lose and we are not going to go eight points behind Chelsea,” he said.

"I think we were unlucky in the last two games - against Bayern Munich in the way we lost with that goal and against Arsenal we deserved to win the three points.

"But things happen. We must win our next game at home and with that we will be two points behind the leader.

"That for me will be a very good start after playing Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. That is why it is important to win on Sunday."
v
Live Ford Super Sunday
Man City vs Chelsea

September 21, 2014, 3:30pm
Sky Sports 1 HD

Remote Record

Get a Sky Sports Pass
Upgrade to Sky Sports

Pellegrini and Mourinho have exchanged verbal digs in recent years, but the Chilean played down suggestions of a rivalry.

"It is nothing important," said Pellegrini. "Every time you ask me the same question when we play against Mourinho.

"I don't have any problem with him. This profession - we manage in different ways and nothing more. Nothing important."

Sergio Aguero has been used sparingly since returning from the World Cup and played only 16 minutes of the Champions League loss at Bayern Munich in midweek.

But the Argentina forward has still managed to score three goals and Pellegrini hinted that he will play a more prominent role against Chelsea.

"He is very important. Maybe Sergio in this moment is not ready to play three games in one week (of) 90 minutes,” said Pellegrini.

"That is why I thought it was better for him and the squad not to play 90 minutes against Bayern.

"He is fresh for Sunday and I am sure he will make a difference."