JACOB Dawson doesn’t have to try too hard to imagine his first game at Metricon Stadium — he’s probably watched the Suns play there as much as anyone at the club.

Dawson became the sixth Palm Beach-Currumbin High School graduate to make his AFL debut for the Suns when he ran out against Hawthorn in Launceston last week.

After a solid first-up effort, he should hold his spot this week against Collingwood in what has traditionally been the club’s biggest game of the year.

The crowd record of 24,032, the stadium’s only ever sellout for an AFL match, was against the Pies in 2014 — a game made famous by the shoulder injury that cost Gary Ablett close to two years of footy and potentially a third Brownlow Medal.

Dawson’s wish was to get any game in his first season but admits a close second was to play against the Magpies.

“I was always looking ahead and wanting to play in that game,’’ he said.

“The last few weeks I was getting closer and I was lucky enough to get picked last week.

“I can’t wait.

“It has always been the biggest game of the year at Metricon and hopefully a few of my friends and family and people I’ve played footy with along the Gold Coast can get along.’'

The midfielder was a huge Gary Ablett fan as a kid.

He has been in Gold Coast’s academy since he was 13 years old and, along with Brayden Crossley, is the first Suns player to spend most of their childhood dreaming of playing for the club.

While the Hawks robbed him of a win on debut with their 53-point victory, he says the day will always be a memory he cherishes.

“It was a dream come true, growing up on the Coast as soon as the club came in it was where I wanted to end up,’’ he said.

“It was disappointing we didn’t get the result, but on a selfish personal level it was a dream come true and a day I will never forget.’’

Dawson, who was selected as an academy selection in last year’s rookie draft, had to wait while school mates Crossley and Jacob Heron and fellow draftee Charlie Ballard got their first opportunities at senior level before him.

He said it was tough to wait for his chance but is happy he forced his way in with strong NEAFL form.

“Having to earn your chance and your opportunity by playing good footy at NEAFL made the debut even more special instead of just rolling in,’’ he said.

“In hindsight it’s unreal having to really earn your spot and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way looking back.”