AS if semi-finals needed any more drama.

Friday’s clash between Penrith and Cronulla will have one of everything needed to turn a regular finals game into a blockbuster.

In 52 seasons it's’s their first time meeting in the finals, but don’t be fooled into thinking there is no rivalry.

There’s more than enough to fill every seat at Allianz Stadium.

It ignited at the start of the 2017 season, when Panthers general manager Phil Gould said the Sharks claimed their maiden premiership in a “soft competition” as the premiership favourites fell over.

Speaking on the Six Tackles with Gus podcast, Gould said the 2016 competition ended up being “fairly soft” and the Sharks ended up being the last man standing.

It’s been almost two years since Gould’s comments but they have not been forgotten by Cronulla.

Coach Shane Flanagan hit back at the time, and has since reiterated his feelings to Fairfax Media ahead of Friday’s clash.

“I said at the time it was disrespectful and my opinion hasn’t changed,” Flanagan said.

The Sharks went on to use the comments as motivation when they faced Penrith at Panthers Stadium in 2017, chanting “three cheers for Gus” in the sheds after a 28-2 victory in Round 7.

And they haven’t lost a game to the Panthers since.

In fact, the Panthers have won just two of their past 12 games against the Sharks.

The match up between James Maloney and Matt Moylan will also add to the spice.

The two playmakers traded places in an off-season switch and Moylan has already claimed bragging rights over his former club, starring in a 24-12 win at Panthers Stadium in Round 18.

However, it still remains to be seen which club got the best deal with the premiership still up for grabs.

Maloney led the Sharks to a premiership in 2016 alongside halfback Chad Townsend, but has been called out by his former captain Paul Gallen this week over his form in 2017, which led to the Moylan switch.

Gallen described Maloney as “distracted” over his role as a board member for the RLPA during CBA negotiations last season, as well as his pursuit of a long-term deal.

“That took away from football a little bit. You don’t need me to tell you that. I think the proof was in the performances,” Gallen said earlier this week.

Maloney, never one to shy away from a confrontation, said Gallen’s comments were a part of his increasing role as a member of the media, and were no reflection of his performances.

“I don’t think that had anything to do with it. You can’t try and make excuses. If he wasn’t happy with the way I played, then that’s how it was,” he said.

“ … I don’t really worry about those comments from Gal.

“He’s part of the media now and he has got to say some things

“He will say a few things, but it doesn’t bother me.”

Fellow former Panthers Luke Lewis and James Segeyaro will also be out for bragging rights, while Tyrone Peachey would love to get a win over the club that gave him his NRL debut and then let him go in 2013.

Panthers coach Cameron Ciraldo also made his debut at the Sharks in 2005, playing 19 games over three seasons.

There may be no finals history, but the rivalry is as fierce as they come.

The winner of Friday’s game will play Melbourne at AAMI Park in the preliminary finals next week.