Mohammad Abbas will be available for the first nine games of the Championship season. © AFP

Nottinghamshire have secured the services of Pakistan pacer Mohammad Abbas for the 2020 County Championship. Abbas will be available for the first nine games of the season post which he is expected to join the Pakistan squad for the Test series in England.

"He's a high-calibre player. He came into Test cricket late, but his impact at that level has been fantastic; almost unprecedented actually," Nottinghamshire Head Coach Peter Moores said after signing Abbas. "We also know from what he's done with Leicestershire that he can perform in English conditions and can excel within a county schedule that can be quite demanding on quick bowlers.

"He'll strengthen our bowling considerably, as well as being a mentor for our younger bowlers who can learn a lot from the way he plays the game."

Abbas has played 15 Tests so far for Pakistan picking up 66 wickets at an extraordinary average of 20.37. The 29-year-old has already played in the County Championship previously, for Leicestershire, where he picked up 79 wickets in 19 matches.

"Trent Bridge is a brilliant venue to call home and I can't wait to join Nottinghamshire next summer," Abbas said. "The club is steeped in history and I'm looking forward to giving my all to get them back up into the top division of Championship cricket. I've really enjoyed my past couple of summers playing in England and I'm excited for the domestic season to start again in April."