Danny O’Brien will continue to adopt a patient approach with emerging talents Order Of Command and My Pendant despite authoritative victories at Flemington.

O’Brien entered the meeting with palpable optimism and Order Of Command and My Pendant justified stable expectations with quality wins while Lycurgus (second) and Portman (fourth) also ran well.

But, as impressive as the winning pair was, O’Brien will resist the temptation to rush them to higher levels.

With The Standish Handicap (1000m) looming on New Year’s Day, O’Brien will take a conservative course with Order Of Command.

“Obviously he looks as though he will get to Stakes level at some stage but he’s still running off a low enough rating to keep himself in the lower grades,” he said.

Order Of Command ($2.25) scorched over his last 200m in 11.23secs as Damien Oliver sooled the four-year-old past Demolition ($4.20) and Gwenneth ($51).

Oliver described Order Of Command as “a perfect racehorse” after winning the Festive Season Sprint (1000m).

“He can take a nice sit and he’s got a good turn of foot,” Oliver said. “He’s a great little horse. He’s foolproof, makes his own luck.

“I was a little worried getting onto the course proper. The leader (Gwenneth) put a little margin on us and we were under pressure but he responded really well.”

O’Brien agreed.

“He seems to hit the after-burners at the clock tower,” he said.

“That’s what you need in those straight races. He just needed to get a bit of room.

“Once he did, he certainly found the line really strongly.

“We love winning races at Flemington. We’re happy to wait if we have to.

“We’ve got a good spread of meetings here through the summer so you’ll be seeing him again down the straight, I’m sure.”

O’Brien will give My Pendant a short break at his Thirteenth Beach property before aiming at autumn spoils with the filly after a strong win in the Santa’s Workshop Plate.

Ridden by Craig Williams, My Pendant ($3.30) scored by a neck from Notation ($6.50), with Queen La Diva ($4) three-quarters of a length away third.

O’Brien will consider the Group 3 The Vanity (1400m) at Headquarters next year.

“She’s come a long way in a short time,” O’Brien said.

“It’s an exciting 2019 coming up for her.”