Minnesota United has announced the signing of Swedish goalkeeper John Alvbage on loan from IFK Goteborg.

Alvbage, 34, will be on loan through July 15 with an option to extend the loan after that date.

The veteran goalkeeper comes to MLS after an 18-year career in the Swedish and Danish top flights. Most recently, he spent four seasons with Goteborg, where he was named Goalkeeper of the Year for the Allsvenkan in 2015.

Alvbage is likely to compete for a starting role with MNUFC, with Alec Ferrell and Patrick McLain the only other goalkeepers currently on the team's roster.

“I have big expectations, this is a great opportunity for myself and everyone at this club, it’s new for all of us and that’s really exciting,” Alvbage said in a club release. “There is great team spirit and chemistry already building with this club and I’m delighted to be a part of it. I’m pumped, I am excited about what we can create in Minnesota.”

Internationally, Alvbage made four appearances for the Swedish national team between 2006 and 2009, and was named to the country's World Cup roster in 2006.