Micky Mellon sounded Shrewsbury's promotion charge as he targeted chasing down League Two leaders Burton.

The Town boss takes his side to Portsmouth on Saturday second in the table and five points behind the Brewers.

Shrewsbury have won their last two games - after a run of just one victory in five - and Mellon wants to ensure they can reel in Burton ahead of the title run-in.

He said: "Without a shadow of a doubt, they are the pace-setters and the ones everyone wants to catch. You want to try to claw back that deficit and Saturday is another opportunity to do that.

"There will be twists and turns until the end. What you have to do is focus on your own controllables, keep calm, keep doing your jobs but enjoy it.

"You have to embrace it because this is what you got into football to be involved in."

Town have a four-point lead over fourth-placed Bury and are level on points with Wycombe, who sit in the final automatic promotion spot.

With eight games left the Shropshire side are in the promotion race after relegation last season and Mellon, who took over last summer, is enjoying the ride.

He said: "There comes a time when you have to look at the results and league table. We all do that, that's what it's there for at this time.

"You have to take care of your own business first but it's a great time of the season.

"It's a time of the season which I absolutely love and if I can always be involved in it for the rest of my managerial career I will be delighted with that."