Glenn Maxwell faces the familiar conundrum of trying to force his way into the Test side while on national white-ball duty as the Victorian readies for a return to the UAE with Australia's T20 side.

The trip comes a month later than Maxwell had hoped for, with his omission from the Test side that began their series against Pakistan on Sunday causing controversy.

But Maxwell is looking to the example set by fellow Victorian and former housemate Aaron Finch, who earned his Test debut largely on the back of a blistering run of form in white-ball cricket.

Maxwell's quest to pile on the runs required by new coach Justin Langer hasn't been helped by coming in at No.5, but the allrounder is content to play the role asked of him.

"I've been batting really well this tournament ... I feel really good about where my game is at," he told reporters ahead of the JLT One-Day Cup semi-final against Western Australia.

"I've adjusted a few things technically and mentally as well.

"Just playing my role in this side there haven't probably been as many opportunities to have those bigger scores but I feel like I've been batting as well as ever, which is nice."

Maxwell was dismissed for seven when he fell into a short-ball trap to become Nathan Coulter-Nile's third wicket, but was impressive in the field in Victoria's 63-run win over the Warriors, taking two catches and completing a run-out.

The 29-year-old was part of the Test squad on Australia's last visit to the UAE in 2014, and played his second Test, batting at No.3, in the match at Abu Dhabi.

"I'm excited to get over there," Maxwell said. "Watching the boys sweat it out in the training videos has been good to see, I know what it's like over there at this time of year."

This trip his duty will be limited to the three T20 matches to be played at the conclusion of the Test series, with one-day and T20 matches against South Africa and India to start Australia's international summer to follow.

It means the Victorian will again have his opportunities to impress in the JLT Sheffield Shield cut short.

Maxwell suggested his solution to finding more first-class cricket might be a winter trip to England for a County Championship contract.

But with a World Cup in the UK in 2019 before the Ashes Test series, the packed international schedule may again curtail that ambition.

"It's something that's happened a lot throughout my career," he said.

"I think if you look at the number of Shield games I reckon I would've played the lowest out of a lot of players that I'm probably vying for a (Test) spot against.

"Whether or not that's hurt me or not? I'm not really sure.

"I do miss a lot of first-class cricket and probably need to try and get to England to play a bit more."

Finch's red-hot form against the white ball this year vaulted him into Test calculations; his average of almost 70 in 17 limited-overs internationals in 2018 is the highest of any batter in the world and hundreds in Melbourne, Brisbane, Durham and Harare underlined why he instils genuine fear into bowlers worldwide.

It's a blueprint that Maxwell knows well, and finds himself again seeking to emulate.

"I'd like to be able to put as many runs forward and hopefully get an opportunity," he said. "I'm not sure what role they're looking at for me for the T20s.

"We've seen with (Aaron) Finch that with a weight of runs in any format you're a chance to get selected.

"But if I can show I'm batting well, moving well, and doing a job with the ball … and that's been the key thing this (JLT Cup) tournament, I feel like I've been bowling as well as I ever have.

"Getting the opportunity to bowl more overs has been really good for me here, and hopefully that holds me in good stead when I get over there."