THIRTEEN years after the name Matera last appeared on a western derby team sheet, Brandon Matera will return one of WA’s most famous footy families to centre stage.

The Fremantle forward, who is the son of inaugural Eagle Wally and nephew of West Coast greats Peter and Phil, will take on the Eagles for the first time since he was traded home to the Dockers from Gold Coast in the off-season.

Peter Matera featured in 14 derbies including the inaugural clash at Subiaco Oval in 1995, while Phil Matera played in 16 derbies before his retirement in 2005.

Brandon, who played 101 games in seven seasons at the Suns, is now intent on getting blue and gold royalty to take a liking to purple.

“It was hard to tell Dad when I first spoke to them. But he’s been to every game so far and he’s starting to warm,” he said.

“Last week against the Bulldogs after the win he was like “it would be good to beat West Coast next week”, so I think we’ve slowly got him over. And then I said to Peter and Phil we’ll have them in a Freo jumper by the end of the year.”

The crafty left-footer had no shortage of inspiration growing up, but said his father and uncles had always encouraged him to be his own man.

“Towards the end of Peter’s career, I remember going to his 250th and his retirement one. But probably more so I got to see a bit of Phil play. I remember going to my own games in the morning and then getting up there with Dad and going to watch Phil play,” he said.

“I’ve got a tape at home that’s got all their highlights on. So I used to watch that a little bit as a younger fella. One thing they’ve always said to me is don’t base your game on our game and you go out there and make your own name.

“I haven’t really based myself on either of my uncles or my dad, but I suppose I play the same position as Phil. He’s probably got me for a bit of speed.”

The 26-year-old described his father as both his biggest supporter and biggest critic.

“Dad’s probably been my biggest support throughout my career. He’s always been there,” he said.

“When I was on the Gold Coast I used to receive a phone call after the game and he’d let you know how you played. Some days you wouldn’t hear from him and you’d know it was a bad one.

“Coming over here now and seeing him after every game is pretty good and he’s been pretty happy with the way I’ve been going.”

Brandon was thrilled to be a part of today’s derby at Optus Stadium, however he actually grew up supporting Essendon.

“My aunty was a Bombers supporter and took me to a couple of games and almost brainwashed me when I was younger,” he said.

“I grew up going for them, but I also went to most of the West Coast games obviously when Peter and Phil were still playing to go watch them play.

“I remember one time rocking up to Etihad after James Hird kicked that goal from the boundary (in 2004). I was in my Essendon gear and went down to the West Coast rooms afterwards to catch up with Phil.”

West Coast forward Jake Waterman and his father Chris will become the second father-son combination to appear in western derbies when the youngster plays in his first today, 20 years after his dad’s last derby.

Andrew and Jeremy McGovern are the first father-son combination to have featured in derbies. Michael and Jacob Brennan both represented the Eagles, but while Jacob played against Fremantle twice in his 28 games, his father missed both derbies in 1995 before retiring at the end of that season.