Jorge Lorenzo is contemplating his plans for 2015 and beyond, with his current Movistar Yamaha MotoGP contract set to expire at the end of the season. The Mallorcan would like to stay put, but admits that he will consider all options.

Lorenzo has ridden for Yamaha since stepping up to the MotoGP™ premier class in 2008 as a double 250 World Champion. Although this year may have started off on a low note with a crash in Qatar, the MotoGP™ title winner of 2010 and 2012 is remaining upbeat about 2014 while keeping one eye firmly on the future.

"We have started talking and have had the first meeting," Lorenzo told motogp.com at Circuit of the Americas on Thursday. "The more ideal thing would be to stay with Yamaha and not change to another factory. Obviously, we are here to try to win and the bike is very important.

"I have always had a very good bike, because I have finished either first or second for the last five seasons which means that the bike was working very, very well. If the bike can improve a little bit more, and Yamaha can offer to Valentino (Rossi) and myself a better bike, it would be much easier to sign up again for another two years."

While expressing his loyalty to the team with which he is now in his seventh premier class campaign, Lorenzo does not deny the fact that other choices will be available:

"I think every rider, if they receive offers, check out those offers – you would be mad not to check them out. But, obviously, if things are good with your factory and they treat you well – as Yamaha always has with me – and the bike is competitive, the most logical thing is to sign up again.

"Let’s see what happens. The top three or four strongest riders always receive offers from all of the factories, so I guess the same thing will happen again this time."

Lorenzo’s team decision for 2015 is likely to prove pivotal in the rider market, as team-mate Valentino Rossi as well as Repsol Honda Team’s Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa will all reach the end of their current deals as this year draws to an end.