BRISBANE utility Ryan Lester will continue playing an important leadership role with the Lions' exciting batch of youngsters after signing a one-year contract extension until the end of 2019.

The 26-year-old, who qualified as an unrestricted free agent, will enter his ninth season at the Lions next year, having played 117 games since arriving at the club as the 28th selection in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft.

Lester was in and out of the senior side this year, averaging 16 disposals in 15 games, but is an important mentor for the club's emerging stars.

"I just feel very lucky and I really love the club," Lester told lions.com.au.

"I'm excited about 2019 and believe in the young group we are building.

"We're a young, emerging team and I enjoy being able to have an impact on some of those younger players and guide them in the right direction."

Lester has been a part of the Lions' leadership group for the past two seasons.

Lions general manager of football David Noble said Lester's leadership was highly valued.

"Ryan has showed his leadership this year through not only his actions, but his behind the scenes influence with some of our emerging talent," Noble said.

"He is always putting the team first as has been demonstrated by the versatility of roles for our team in the last couple of years."