Socceroos goalkeeper Mat Ryan has revealed Brighton skipper Lewis Dunk did not realise he was already on a booking when he fouled Callum Wilson to earn a red card.

The Seagulls were beaten 2-0 by Bournemouth, with the home side’s skipper taking an early shower for his late sliding tackle on the Cherries striker.

Eddie Howe’s side took full advantage of their one-man advantage but Seagulls shot stopper Ryan has admitted there was some confusion about who had received the first card for the earlier foul.

“I wasn’t sure who got the first yellow card,” said Ryan after the game.

“I didn’t know if it was Bissouma or Lewis.

“And Lewis has said in the dressing room that he wasn’t aware he was on a yellow card.

“It was not made clear to him he had received the yellow because it was Bissouma and him there.

“Clearly, from what Lewis has said, he wasn’t aware he was on the yellow card and if he had been, he wouldn’t be making a challenge like that next one.”

With Brighton’s talismanic skipper dismissed, the Cherries wasted no time in capitalising through a David Brooks header — just four minutes after the sending off.

“It was a type of challenge that was uncharacteristic.

“If he knew he was on a yellow, I don’t thin k he would be making it.

“It’s the type of yellow card challenge you make to break up play. If he’s known I don’t think he would have made that challenge.”