“IMAGINE they lose” posed Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat as he quashed Sydney FC’s proclamations of mental and physical superiority ahead of Saturday’s A-League semi-final.

Upbeat Muscat was “licking his lips” at the latest Big Blue offering, the final duel between him and former international teammate and now arch coaching enemy Graham Arnold before he departs for Socceroos duty.

Muscat deadpanned “no interest” when asked about ending all-conquering Arnold’s season prematurely, rating his team’s season, and the lure of Asian Champions League qualification if they win — underlining his focus with dramatic effect.

While failing to name names, Muscat bristled at Sydney FC captain Alex Brosque labelling Victory fragile after seven straight losses plus Michael Zullo’s declaration that the Sky Blues were the A-League’s fittest specimens.

“It’s been put out there (Victory is fragile), but I haven’t spent too much time worrying about it. What it has done is created a whole lot of expectation, hasn’t it?” Muscat said.

“Just imagine if they lose. The expectation has been created, it certainly hasn’t been created from us.

“It’s been documented them having that (physical) edge over us. I don’t understand their understanding of where we are (Victory’s high performance chief is former Sydney FC conditioning guru Anthony Crea).

“We’re very content with where we are mentally and physically, only we truly know were we are at.

“I’ve spent more time this week in the club than anyone and I can tell you we’re in a good place.”

Muscat is likely to stick with his 4-2-3-1 formation although there was a suggestion he will subtly tweak the plan in a bid to exploit perceived Sky Blues weaknesses.

“These big games we’ve got a proven track record in these big encounters

I lick my lips about it. I can’t wait,’’ he said.

“I can’t wait for a number of reasons. Going across into enemy territory, big finals game, a lot of expectation has been created across there, there’s a place in the grand final up for grabs.

“One team, there will be no coming back. There’s certainly a lot at stake.

“We have got a plan and we will go across there and execute that game plan and the rest will look after itself.”