Kawhi Leonard's season has been riddled with injuries, forcing him out of all but nine games this season. But the Spurs star could soon be back on the court.

According to ESPN, Leonard has returned to Spurs facilities as he eyes a March return to the court. Leonard returned to San Antonio from New York, where he spent three weeks seeking further consultation on a right quad injury.

Leonard averaged 16.2 points per game in limited minutes during his brief stint of action this season. Coach Gregg Popovich said last week that he did not know if Leonard would return this season, and that he was running out of time for a recovery. "You know, with Kawhi, I'll be surprised if he returns this season," Popovich said last week. "We only have 'x' number of games left in the season, and he's still not ready to go.

"If by some chance he is, it's gonna be pretty late in the season and it's going to be a pretty tough decision, you know, how late you bring somebody back. So that's why I'm just trying to be honest and logical. I'll be surprised if he gets back this year."
The report stated that Leonard will not immediately return to full practice, but he should reach that level in the "near future".

Leonard, a two-time first-team All-NBA and defensive player of the year, could help lead the injury-plagued Spurs on a long playoff run. They are currently third in the Western Conference standings