Teddy Sheringham, coach of the defending Indian Super League (ISL) champions ATK, has expressed his astonishment at the numerous dangerous tackles that have gone unpunished in the games so far.

The English coach was interacting with reporters ahead of ATK's game against Chennaiyin FC at the Marina Arena in Chennai on Thursday.

He also slammed the quality of the pitch at Jamshedpur during his side's 0-0 draw against Jamshedpur FC last Friday.

"I had not really seen much of Indian football (before coming here). I have been very impressed with my Indian boys. But from an overall perspective, there have been horrendous challenges that have gone unpunished so far," Sheringham expressed.
"I'm surprised there haven't been more injuries with the kind of challenges that have taken place. The referees have to be more on the point and the pitch at Jamshedpur during the last game was horrendous."

ATK are yet to notch a win and are bottom of the standings currently, something Sheringham is only well aware of.

"It has not been the best of starts for us. We're propping up the division which is not good for the reigning champions. We had a few setbacks along the way but I believe we're not far away. We are changing from last season and we feel like we're getting there. But we know we need to do better," stressed the former Manchester United forward.

"There's always pressure on everybody (including me). Nobody wants to be bottom of the table. We've had two good away draws, which is good when you take the positives. But we've been undone by silly mistakes at home. We're learning and practising hard. We need to put it all together on the matchday now."

The side from Kolkata have scored just the solitary goal in three games so far and the manager has acknowledged the fact, stressing that it was only matter of time before the goals start flowing.

"We've lacked goals. Our single goal has come from a freekick and we need to convert the chances that have come our way. We need to score goals to win games and we have the players to do that. We're hoping to improve on that."

Sheringham also revealed that while he wouldn't have minded a draw in an away game, their bad start at home means ATK will be forced to play for a win on Thursday.

"I think whenever you play away from home, it is a tough ask. Crowds do have a say in the matter and they spur you and the effect of playing at home is easier.

"If we could get a point from every away game, you'd be delighted but for that you need to win home games. But if you don't, you have to win away games."

The 51-year-old went on to rue the injury troubles his side has faced, with Eugeneson Lyngdoh and Carl Baker facing serious issues and Robbie Keane still not fit to start.

"Eugeneson (Lyngdoh) has had a bad knee. I'm not sure of the diagnosis but we're hoping for good news. It looks like a bad one but we'll have to wait for the expert opinion."

"Robbie is out. He won't be involved tomorrow. Carl Baker is also out. They are two most potent forces in our set up and when you have two important injuries, you will struggle. I don't think any other team has had two most important players injured," assessed Sheringham