UNTIL two days ago, jockey Emmet McNamara had never laid eyes on Caulfield.

The Irishman will venture to The Heath on Saturday to ride Aidan O’Brien-trained sprinter Intelligence Cross, the lowest-rated of the Ballydoyle trio in the Group 2 Schillaci Stakes.

Having spent years scrapping for rides at the powerhouse Irish stable and travelling the world for the sport’s most prolific Group 1 trainer, McNamara is undaunted to be taking on the cream of Australian horsemen.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to win plenty of big races in England and Ireland and did a couple of winters in Dubai, but it’s my first time riding here in Australia,’’ McNamara said.

“It’s a competitive pack here, but it’s the same in Ireland. There’s no quarter given or asked. I do hope I do have a good run.

“I had a peep over there (Caulfield) the other day, but I’ll walk it again on race day.

“It’s quite a short straight. There’s nothing similar, especially in Ireland.’’

Intelligence Cross is a $26 chance with TAB. His stablemates are Spirit Of Valor ($7) and Fleet Review ($14).

The trio, all by War Front, were given barrier practice along with O’Brien’s stayers The Cliffsofmoher and Yucatan.

“We put them all in. We done it last year with The Taj Mahal and I thought it worked well and Aidan likes to do it,” foreman TJ Comerford said.

“It sharpens their mind up and helps them refocus a couple of days out from race day, so they don’t get too lackadaisical. It works well. It can’t hurt.”

Comerford said the three sprinters were in “good form” and their performances in the Schillaci Stakes would shape their immediate future.

“We’re hoping to run well in sprints, we’re not expecting to win,” he said.

“If we won it would be a bonus.

“It’s the end of the year and normally if you have a good sprinter at home you’d like to bring them down for The Everest and that but there’s always other sprints like Hong Kong.

“It’s whatever Aidan feels like he wants to do like that.

“Maybe try them out and see what happens and if it works then you can go for other sprints out here like the Friday night (Manikato Stakes) at Moonee Valley and then at Flemington as well.

“This is a stepping stone to that.”