England leg-spinner Adil Rashid has realised he "belongs" in Test cricket, says former captain Michael Vaughan.

Rashid took three wickets on the second day of the third Test against India to take his tally for the series to 16, more than any other bowler.

"He's found that he belongs here," Vaughan, who was critical of England's spinners during the second Test, told Test Match Special.

"He looks himself in the mirror and says, 'I can play Test cricket'."

Rashid managed 15 wickets in his previous five Tests but in taking 16 in three against India he has taken the most in a series by an England leg-spinner since Doug Wright's 23 against Australia in 1946-47.

"It's nice to have those stats but stats don't mean that much to me," Rashid, 28, told BBC Sport. "I don't look that far ahead, who is leading or isn't leading, I just try to do my job.

"Sometimes you don't bowl that good a ball, you get a wicket. Sometimes you bowl jaffas, they get wickets. That's part and parcel of cricket and being a leg-spinner."

The Yorkshireman's 3-81 helped England fight back in Mohali as India were reduced from 148-2 to 204-6.

Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja then combined to take India to 271-6, 12 runs behind England's 283.

"England's bowling was excellent," said Vaughan. "This England attack is an attack that any captain in the world would want."

Rashid said: "It's fairly interesting at the moment but fairly poised. We stuck by our plans and got rewards.

"As a group and as a team we had the belief that if we stick to our plans and what we were doing things will change and happen. We're still confident."