Australia are poised to head into next month’s Women’s World T20 as the top-ranked team in the format after the International Cricket Council unveiled a new rankings system for women’s cricket.

The previous team rankings system, introduced in 2015, combined both ODIs and T20Is, with total points across the two formats determining who held the mantle of the world No.1.

Australia, who had sat eight points clear of second-placed England under the old system, remain top of the tree in both limited-overs formats under the new rankings.

Given the rarity of women’s Tests – a format currently only played by Australia and England, and only once every two years – there’s no ranking for the longest form of the game.

Australia, fresh off a 3-0 T20I series win over New Zealand, sit on 280 points in the T20I charts, ahead of their trans-Tasman rivals on 277, while England sit third on 276.

Defending World T20 champions West Indies (259) are ranked fourth, ahead of India (249).

Australia will need to whitewash their upcoming T20I series against Pakistan in Malaysia this month to retain top spot and head into November’s World T20 as the World No.1s.

And Meg Lanning’s team will be feeling confident given they're coming off back-to-back series wins in the format and have never lost to Pakistan.

“Being named the top-ranked country in the ICC T20I rankings is nice recognition for the consistent style of cricket that we’ve been playing over the last year or so,” Lanning said.

In the ODI rankings, Australia hold a 17-point head over second-ranked England.

A total of 46 teams feature in the T20I rankings, with all T20 matches between ICC member countries granted international status. Ten teams make up the ODI chart.

ODI team rankings

1. Australia – 140 points

2. England – 123

3. India – 119

4. New Zealand – 116

5. South Africa – 98

6. West Indies – 92

7. Pakistan – 73

8. Sri Lanka – 58

9. Bangladesh – 49

10. Ireland – 21

T20I team rankings

1. Australia – 280

2. New Zealand – 277

3. England – 276

4. West Indies – 259

5. India – 249

6. South Africa – 243

7. Pakistan – 277

8. Sri Lanka – 207

9. Bangladesh – 193

10. Ireland – 188

CommBank Tour of Malaysia

Australia ODI squad: Meg Lanning (c), Rachael Haynes (vc), Nicole Bolton, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Alyssa Healy (wk), Delissa Kimmince, Sophie Molineux, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Elyse Villani, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

Australia T20 & World T20 squad: Meg Lanning (c), Rachael Haynes (vc), Nicole Bolton, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Alyssa Healy (wk), Jess Jonassen (subject to fitness), Delissa Kimmince, Sophie Molineux, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Elyse Villani, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

Pakistan ODI/T20 squad: Javeria Khan (c), Bibi Nahida, Ayesha Zafar, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Sidra Amin, Omaima Sohail, Nida Rashid, Sidra Nawaz, Sana Mir, Nashra Sundhu, Anum Amin, Natalia Parvaiz, Aliya Riaz, Diana Baig, Aiman Anwar

October 18: First ODI v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval, Kuala Lumpur

October 20: Second ODI v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval

October 22: Third ODI v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval

October 25: First T20I v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval

October 27: Second T20I v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval

October 29: Third T20I v Pakistan, Kinrara Academy Oval

2018 ICC Women's World T20

November 9: Australia v Pakistan, Province Stadium, Guyana

November 11: Australia v Ireland, Province Stadium

November 13: Australia v New Zealand, Province Stadium

November 17: Australia v India, Province Stadium

November 22: Semi-finals, Sir Vivian Richards Ground, Antigua