The Swede has argued that he does not need to lift Europe's most prestigious trophy in order to be considered a true great

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has defended his record in the Champions League by pointing out that the "the real Ronaldo" never won the tournament either.

The Swede, 32, has starred in back-to-back Ligue 1 wins with current club Paris Saint-Germain and collected silverware in Italy, Spain and Netherlands - but success on the continental stage continues to elude him.

However, the striker has hit back at critics who suggest he cannot attain greatness without winning the Champions League by bringing up former Brazil international Ronaldo, who never got his hands on the coveted trophy during his illustrious career.

"No, it doesn't annoy me when people keep saying I haven't won it!" Ibrahimovic told ESPN. "When someone is on top, people always want to find something to criticise him.

"The real Ronaldo didn't win the Champions League either. What do people say about him? It's the same thing with me. You win because you win, but it doesn't change the player you are.

"If Diego Maradona hadn't won the World Cup, would people not say he was still the best? They would.

"It's not an obsession for me. I have achieved what I wanted in my career, 100 per cent. I have won 23 titles. I have given my best and done everything I could through my career to win as many trophies possible.

"Of course, it would be nice to win the Champions League, and I feel I can and will win it. But if my career finishes without it, I would still be happy and proud."

Ibrahimovic, however, did lay down a massive marker by claiming that Laurent Blanc's PSG can win the Champions League in 2014-15 after successive eliminations on away goals at the quarter-final stage for the past two seasons.
"I think we can win it. We have a good opportunity," the striker added. "This team's made to play in top tournaments. You need to work hard and to have a bit of luck with you.

"In the key moments, you need to have the small details on your side. I think we have that in our team now.

"We have more experience too, especially after last season. So we can do it."

PSG, who beat Guingamp in the Trophee des Champions earlier this month, have added to their star-studded squad with the signings of David Luiz and Serge Aurier and Ibrahimovic thinks they are now a more formidable outfit than ever.

"I think we are stronger than last year already," he continued. "It's not always the best team that wins the Champions League. Anything can happen in that competition.

"There are years when the winners are not the favourites at the start of the tournament. That's why it is so interesting."

PSG opened their Ligue 1 campaign with a 2-2 draw at Reims and play their first game of 2014-15 at Parc des Princes against Bastia on Saturday.