BOOMERS star Chris Goulding says appealing his one-match ban from FIBA would be like throwing away his money.

The world basketball federation sensationally pinged the Melbourne United captain for “inciting” unsportsmanlike behaviour prior to the infamous Philippines “basketbrawl”.
Goulding wanted to fight the sanction but ultimately the cost — believed to be up to $10,000 — outweighed the chances of his appeal being successful.

“It was almost like if you want to throw away your money go for it,” Goulding said.

“No point me doing that.”

Goulding will be ineligible for Australia’s next World Cup qualifier against Qatar next month in Doha.

Australian NBA star Thon Maker (three games) and Daniel Kickert (five) have also accepted bans.

“It’s unfortunate that you won’t be able to represent your country but the stake that you had in the pot was just too much to go and lose,” Goulding told SEN yesterday.

“You have to take the punch you’ve been given, literally in this case, and try and move on and get ready to represent my country as soon as I can.”

Goulding made international headlines when pictures emerged of him being assaulted under an angry mob of Philippines players, team officials and courtside spectators.