Roger Federer restored order with his 60th victory at the French Open as he dispatched Argentine qualifier Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 6-3 6-4 6-4 to reach the third round.

When Federer and world No 109 from Buenos Aires Schwartzman took to Court Suzanne Lenglen, the crowd were still reeling from Serena Williams' shock exit at the hands of Garbine Muguruza.

Coupled with Federer's countryman Stan Wawrinka and his fellow Australian Open champion Li Na both losing in the first round, there was no doubt the tennis world had been rocked significantly off its axis.

Schwartzman, a qualifier playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam for the first time, hinted at more drama to come when he broke the Federer serve in the third game but the 17-time grand slam champion hit back swiftly to win in straight sets.

From 2-1 down, the 2009 champion won four games in a row and a single break of serve in the second and third sets proved enough, although 21-year-old Schwartzman played a very good match.

In the third round fourth-seeded Federer will play 31st seed Dmitry Tursunov, who beat American Sam Querrey 6-4 7-5 6-1.

First meeting

Federer has a 4-0 record against the Russian Tursunov but the two have never played on clay.

Their last meeting was in the third round at Indian Wells, with Federer needing two tiebreaks to go through.

"I think before the match you have to think you're going to play as if it was a hard court," he said.

"You have to slide, if you can, you have to run after the points. But I don't know which points he's going to focus on. Is it semi-volleys? It's difficult on clay sometimes the way the balls bounce.

"But at Indian Wells he played from the baseline. So we'll see. I'll see how I can change the rallies. But also after how I can place my game, if I can use the expression."

Also progressing were Czech sixth seed Tomas Berdych who beat Alexsandr Nedovyesov of Kazakhstan 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 7-5 6-3 and Milos Raonic, the eighth-seeded Canadian who defeated promising 20-year-old Jiri Vesely, 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 6-1.

Home-favourite Jo-Wilfried Tsonga easily dispatched Austria's Jurgen Melzer 6-2 6-3 6-4.

The Frenchman will next meet big-serving Jerzy Janowicz in the last 32 after the giant Pole beat Jarkko Nieminen from Finland 7-6(4) 7-6(4) 6-4.