Massive wildfires are currently devastating the Los Angeles area, but one local firefighter knows a little something about winning in difficult situations.

Former Cardinals pitcher Anthony Reyes, who once outpitched Justin Verlander to ultimately win the 2006 World Series, is among the brave men and women trying to save their city.

Reyes currently works as a member of the Los Angeles County Fire Department, and according to MLB.com, Reyes was in action Wednesday night into Thursday, when winds were gusting over 70 mph.

"I've always wanted to do it," Reyes told Cardinals Insider in 2016. "I loved playing sports. I loved the fire department. My dad was a firefighter. My grandfather was a firefighter. I always had it in my blood, and I always heard the stories. For me, it felt like a sports team. I thought it was the perfect job."

Reyes faced off against a fresh-faced Verlander during his rookie season with the Tigers. Though Reyes won that battle, he never earned another postseason start, and he finished his career 13-26 with a 5.12 ERA.

ABC News reported Friday night a new fire spread into San Diego, and firefighters are now battling against "six major wildfires"