They NHL's Panthers were playing thousands of miles away in another country Wednesday, but much of their focus was on home. On Parkland.

The club's traveling party watched all-day coverage of the shooting massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., about 10 minutes away from the team's Broward County practice facility. When the players got to Rogers Arena in Vancouver, several of them recorded messages of support.

The @FlaPanthers are in Vancouver tonight, but the players have their South Florida community on their minds. pic.twitter.com/xvQbvPdIgI
— FOX Sports Florida (@FOXSportsFL) February 15, 2018
"We talked (pregame) about getting two points and dedicating this win to everybody back home," team captain Derek MacKenzie told reporters (per Fox Sports Florida). After observing a lengthy moment of silence, the Panthers scored four goals in the first period and held on for a 4-3 win.

"Obviously it really hits home with us," foward Nick Bjugstad told Fox Sports Florida. "A lot of guys live a couple minutes from that high school. A lot of them have kids in that system. It's tough to hear."

"We mentioned we're going to play for the people in Sunrise and Parkland for tonight," Bjugstad added.

Bjugstad had a goal and assist for Florida, which is in the middle of a road trip through Canada. Its next home game won't be until Feb. 22.
"It's a sad day. I wish I was there right now to talk to my family and neighbors and everyone that's obviously been affected by this, but we can't be there so the next best thing is to come up with a win," MacKenzie told reporters.

The Panthers joined South Florida's other pro sports teams in offering support to the victims and the larger community:

Heat

These are our kids and loved ones. This tragedy does not just hit close to home. This happened in our home. Our hearts break for the victims and their families affected by this tragic event at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
— Miami HEAT (@MiamiHEAT) February 15, 2018

Dolphins

Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the tragedy at Stoneman Douglas High School.
— Miami Dolphins (@MiamiDolphins) February 14, 2018

Marlins

Sending our condolences to those impacted by today’s tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) February 15, 2018

Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo, a Douglas graduate, also responded.
Parkland and Coral Springs please stay strong! This is out of control and and our country is in desperate need for change. I hope In this darkest of times back home this brings everyone together and we can find love. You’re all in my prayers 🙏🏻🙏🏻
— Anthony Rizzo (@ARizzo44) February 14, 2018
Seventeen people were killed and 16 others were wounded in the attack, sunsentinel.com reported. Police arrested Nikolas Cruz, 19, a former Douglas student, in connection with the shootings. He was in possession of an AR-15 rifle when he was taken in. Jim Lewis, an attorney representing a family that took Cruz into its home after Cruz's adoptive mother died in November, said the teen purchased the weapon legally.
Sunsentinel.com reported Cruz was expelled from the high school, but it did not say when