If Denis Pagan’s instincts are correct – as they so often were during his decorated coaching career – he will present the Jock McHale Medal to his former follower Adam Simpson in a few weeks’ time.

Pagan led the Kangaroos to two flags during the 1990s when Simpson was a key figure in his team and believes the now-coach of West Coast can emulate the feat this season.

The Eagles host Collingwood in a qualifying final at Optus Stadium on Saturday night and can smooth the path to the big dance by earning themselves a home preliminary final.

“I think Richmond are the best side in the competition this year, but I think West Coast will win it,” Pagan said when he was unveiled as this year’s presenter of the Jock McHale Medal at the AFL Finals launch in Melbourne today.

“I just think they’ve got two games at home, West Coast. They’re certainly going to make the grand final, I believe.”

Speaking from personal experience, Pagan felt heavy flag favourites Richmond would be struggling to stay in the moment.

“Their players would’ve been thinking about premierships probably from about four or five weeks ago.

“No other side in the competition would’ve had the opportunity to think about it.

“It’s going to be exciting to see what Damien (Hardwick) does to get their minds on the job.”

The Norm Smith Medal will be presented by 2001 winner Shaun Hart and ex-Hawthorn star Josh Gibson is the premiership cup ambassador this month.

Gibson joked he might ruin his relationship with Hawks master coach Alastair Clarkson if he didn’t tip his old club to win another flag.

But he fancies Melbourne, who have hit form in the run home and host Geelong in an elimination final at the MCG on Friday night.

“I love the Hawks and I’ve loved the form of Melbourne of late,” Gibson said.

“We saw a couple of years ago the Doggies play really good footy at this time of year and I think Melbourne are tracking that way as well.

“Richmond are doing so well, as well. I’m a definite fence-sitter, but I’ll say Hawthorn.”

Hart, a triple-premiership Lion under Leigh Matthews, couldn’t go past reigning premiers Richmond.

“I know that’s a really easy tip, but great teams win big finals,” Hart said.

“They’re not quite where they were last year, I don’t think, but they’ll find the ingredients and they just do the fundamentals time and time again.”