Drivers have expressed support for the FIA’s push to introduce a yellow flag speed-limit in the wake of Jules Bianchi’s crash at last weekend’s Japanese GP.
In suggesting the move, the governing body’s Race Director Charlie Whiting said he wanted to “take the decision to slow down away from the drivers” and suggested they adhere to the delta time currently used when the Safety Car comes out.

The FIA is now set to press ahead with a test planned for practice at the United States Grand Prix in Austin at the end of the month.

“Last week shows that definitely we have to do something,” World Champion Sebastian Vettel said after Russian GP qualifying. “I think we have the technology to do a lot; we basically need to find out what is the best: if we talk about a speed limit then what sort of speed limit?

“What you want to do is make it as fair as possible. I’m sure we have the opportunity with the current systems and technology we have in the car. It shouldn’t be a big problem.”

The FIA has discussed ideas with drivers and teams this weekend. “Yes, I support,” said Fernando Alonso “In fact, I raised the point yesterday at the drivers’ briefing.

“Between Singapore and Japan, I went to an indoor go-kart circuit and when it’s a yellow flag or time to stop they push one button, the engines cut and we all go at the same speed.

“If some kind of system can be done here, I think it’s the same for everybody. You maintain the gaps to everybody, there is no crash; there is not anything to be done, just go with the limiter of the car at that speed.”

Lewis Hamilton highlighted the dilemma faced by drivers when double-waved yellow flags are shown – ordering them to slow in preparation to stop - as was the case at Suzuka after Adrian Sutil crashed during the race’s closing stages.

Bianchi’s Marussia also went off on the following lap but hit the recovery vehicle that was removing Sutil’s Sauber. The Frenchman remains critically ill in hospital.

“The problem with flags is that you want to be safe but you want to lose as little time as possible, so you’re always on a knife-edge with it,” Hamilton said.

“And obviously when they put the limiter in – a pit-lane limiter or whatever – through that sector or however they do it, then that really does take the pressure out.”

Jenson Button added: “The important thing is that we’re all working together to come up with the best solution.

“I don’t know what’s right or wrong right now, but the important thing is that the teams, the FIA and the drivers are all involved and we’re united in wanting to move forward.”