FREMANTLE has pounced on draft slider Luke Valente after moving up in the second round of the NAB AFL Draft.

Entering with picks 34 and 41 on Friday, the Dockers swapped both selections with the Western Bulldogs for pick 30 and 57.

They then wasted no time in selecting Valente, the South Australian NAB under-18 National Championship-winning captain, with pick 30.

Tipped to fall at pick 21 in AFL.com.au draft expert Callum Twomey's Phantom Draft, the 186cm midfielder joins close friend Stefan Giro at the club.

The 18-year-old is seen as one of the best leaders in this year's draft crop, having led a state side including top-five stars Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine and Connor Rozee.

In Thursday night's first round, the Dockers claimed draft bolter and highly-rated cricket prospect Sam Sturt at pick 17.

Having only started his TAC Cup campaign with Dandenong Stingrays in round 14 this year, the 189cm agile forward had previously centred his thoughts on the Cricket Victoria pathway.

"It's amazing. It's the best experience and the best feeling of my life," Sturt said.

"It was emotional, I think Mum was pretty upset but that's just out of pure excitement and being happy for me. It was a good moment.

"I just want a new experience and with WA being close to the beach and being nice and hot, it's just an ideal place for me at the moment."

Sturt will be given the first opportunity to wear Matthew Pavlich's famous No.29 guernsey, previously put on hold following the champion's retirement at the end of 2016.

More to come