DARREN Weir’s Night Watch took an important step on his road to gaining a start in the Caulfield Cup with his impressive win in the Jockey Celebration Day Handicap (1400m).

Night’s Watch cruised up to his rivals with 300m to go and then exploded away to win by two-and-a-quarter lengths.

Weir said that’s what he wanted to see and he intends to back him up in the Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at Moonee Valley next Saturday.

“The way that race unfolded he should come home and do really well as he really only had to gallop up the last 200m and then he was eased down,” Weir said.

Weir said Night’s Watch had matured a lot but he still had some kinks to iron out as showed with some pre-race antics in the mounting yard.

“They work hard at home to get him settled and they’re doing a great job. We’re heading on the Caulfield Cup path and whether he gets there, I’m not sure, but he’ll win a nice race.”

Winning jockey Damian Lane described Night’s Watch as “a bit of a weapon”.

“I thought I might have got to the front too soon but he put them away easily.”

Night’s Watch ($3.30) defeated Lite’n In My Veins ($11) by two and a quarter lengths with Muraaqeb ($6) a short half head away third.

Manny Gelagotis said with a little bit of luck former Hong Kong galloper Call Me Handsome could be undefeated in Australia but he didn’t have to worry about that concept in the Heatherlie Stakes (1700m) with him leading throughout for a comfortable win.

Gelagotis said he wasn’t sure what the immediate plans for Call Me Handsome would be saying they could freshen him up for the back end of the carnival or tackle the Toorak Handicap.

Craig Williams dictated terms from the front and said he always felt in control.

“He’s been knocking on the door. He’s got a big heart. He’s been hard to place because of the weights.”

Gelagotis said Hong Kong based trainer David Hall sent them Call He Handsome to train after he suffered a suspensory problem.

“He’s got Pakistan Star form in Hong Kong. He’s got some nice options coming up he’s got the ability to win a stakes race.”

“He’s a good talent. We’ll look after him and he’ll reward us.”

Call Me Handsome ($2.70 fav) defeated Mr Garcia ($8.50) by a length with a long neck away third Sin To Win ($9).

VETERAN MUSCLES IN ON THE HEATH
JOE Pride took special pride in the all-the-way win by his veteran galloper Ball Of Muscle who ran his rivals off their legs to win the Heath 1100m (1100m).

Pride said Ball Of Muscle was the last of the three brothers, with the others being Terravista and Tiger Tees, he had trained to keep racing.

“He’s an eight-year-old. He’s the last of the Parfore’s and like the others out of her they’ve been so good for me,” Pride said.

Pride said when Ball Of Muscle was right he was the fastest horse in Australia.

“When I’ve got his feet right no horse can go with him,” Pride said.

SOLDIER ON THE MARCH
IT was an astounded Darren Weir after Native Soldier destroyed his rivals to win the McNeil Stakes with a sustained burst of speed from the outset.

Native Soldier was part of a three-way speed battle upfront with Tony Nicconi and Rock Hard but he left that pair in his wake early in the straight and sailed clear.

“I can tell you I didn’t see that coming,” Weir said.

Weir said there was still improvement to come from Native Soldier and that’s what surprised him with the win.

“It’s onward to the Caulfield Guineas for him. There’s a lot to like about him.”

“I said to Dean (Yendall) to land him in the first four knowing he would come on from that run.”

The win completed a winning treble for Dean Yendall who had earlier won on Bryan and Mrs Gardenia.

Yendall said he was surprised he went on to win comfortably.

“I didn’t feel we were going that fast in the closing stages.”