DAMIEN Oliver is within striking distance of toppling one of Australian racing’s oldest records after guiding Voodoo Lad to explosive victory in the $1 million Winterbottom Stakes (1200m).

Oliver, 46, snared his 111th Australian Group 1 scalp to narrow the gap to George Moore’s record of 119 – a mark which has stood since 1971.

Bristling with emotion after a rare union with Darren Weir, Perth-born Oliver said his second Winterbottom triumph was a huge thrill. He last won the race in 2006 aboard Marasco.

“It’s great to do it at home,” the hall of famer said after Voodoo Lad posted his first Group 1 win from 10 attempts at the highest level.

“I don’t get to come back here too often, so my only real chance is this carnival.

“This is where it all started for me. You never forget where you come from.

“It’s great. I’ve got great memories coming back here.”

In a superb tactical display, Oliver stalked Willie Pike on Enticing Star before angling Voodoo Lad ($13) into the clear at the 300m. Once the gelding found open ground, he speared past Enticing Star ($6) with Malaguerra ($15) third.

John McArdle’s I’ll Have A Bit was the hard luck story of the race, finishing fourth, while Viddora (11th) struggled to get clear running after being caught behind a wall of horses.

Ashlor was seventh, while Runson finished 12th.

Weir lavished praise on Oliver, hailing the Australian racing’s enduring star.

“It’s Ollie, it’s what he does,” Weir said. “I just said ‘You’ve got to go back and you work out if you go inside a few or around them.’

“He went back to the fence and then he got to the outside.

“Genius, isn’t he? It was a ride. He’s a star, Damien.”

Voodoo Lad had logged Group 1 placings in the Sir Rupert Clarke and Newmarket without winning at elite level.

Those close calls made the Winterbottom breakthrough even more special.

“He’s been running so well in these good class races, he deserved it,” Weir said.

“He’s been close so often and missed by a whisker. It’s great that he’s got one.

“When he got to the outside at the 300 and he was launching, I thought he’d be in the money.

“It was great to see that horse to do it. He thoroughly deserved it.

“That’s a massive thrill, that is.

“He had a lot of things in his favour – he travelled well, he had firm ground – but, geez, I didn’t think that would happen.

“It was all about the speed. It suited horses running on.”

Weir said gun WA trainer Lindsey Smith’s facilities had been crucial to the win.

“I’ve said before how good Lindsey’s track is and we were able to pump the work into him without hurting his legs. That’s the key to it. I can’t thank Lindsey enough.”