GEELONG coach Chris Scott has called for the scrapping of match day reports after Jordan Murdoch was booked for rough conduct on Isaac Heeney.

Murdoch was booked late in the second quarter, a decision which on replay clearly didn’t warrant his name going into the book.

Murdoch had his hands on the ball when his hip made contact to Heeney’s head who was also going low to contest the loose ball.

“I think it highlights the absurdity of match day reports,” Scott said.

“To put the pressure on umpires to feel like they have to intervene in split-second moments like that, I think is really unfair on them, it serves no purpose at all.

“I think the umpires would say it gives them an element of control, so if there is a melee they can say that they have reported the player, which I think is highly questionable.

“The whole footy world will look at it and say ‘the Geelong player had his hands on the ball (and was) going for the ball with perfect technique, so it wasn’t even a free-kick’.

“So then to report him and affect him for the next half of the game, I think makes a bad decision even worse.”

The Cats’ title as the worst clearance team in the competition came back to haunt them in a horrible last quarter where they were stunned by an undermanned Sydney.

The Cats had a 22-point three-quarter time lead eroded by an inspired Swans outfit who kicked seven goals to one to claim a 17-point victory.

Despite having two of the best on-ballers in the game in Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood, the Cats lost the clearance count by 18 and were 11 down in the final quarter.

They were also smashed in the centre clearances where Sydney captain Josh Kennedy and ruckman Callum Sinclair dominated, winning the crucial statistic 16-5 for the afternoon.

“The most important number besides the scoreboard was the centre clearances and they weren’t good for us all day, which was obviously a huge disappointment,” Scott said.

“In the last quarter when they were able to scunge a few goals early and get the momentum with a bit of breeze behind their backs, the centre clearances were obviously going to be crucial and we just got dominated in there.

“And they dominated inside which is disappointing because we had control of the game for large parts and we just couldn’t put the game beyond reach.”

The gutsy win by the Swans, who lost Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery and Dean Towers through injury at selection on Thursday night, continues their love affair with Kardinia Park.

They’ve now won their last three visits and since 2007 have won four of their 11 games in Geelong. The rest of the competition has combined for only six wins from 74 games.

The Cats injury toll continues to grow with Brandan Parfitt a late withdrawal because of a foot injury while George Horlin-Smith was ruled out of the game in the second quarter because of concussion.

Scott wasn’t sure if Parfitt would be back for Friday night’s home game against the GWS Giants but is optimistic Gary Ablett will return from his hamstring injury.

“Pretty positive, that’s the feedback I’m getting and that is where he sits as well,” Scott said.

Scott Selwood, who withdrew on Friday after being concussed the previous week against Port Adelaide, is expected to play against the Giants.